NICE GUIDLINES LINKS TO IT mmse score

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Well here are the guidelines that NHS, CARE HOMES, SOCIAL SERVICES, CARE WORKERS go by for Dementia it includes Drug Treatments Acute hospital care Carers, Health and Social Care staff. Person centered care the lot. Very informitive for us all. If we all read it it might change things with the above. Questions will be asked.
www.nice.org.uk/CG042
www.nice.org.uk
www.scie.org.uk
www.nice.org.uk/TA111

MMSE score
21-26 mild
10-20 moderate
10-14 moderate severe
below 10 severe

I really hope this helps a lot of you. I am using it i'm going to ask the consultant a lot of questions why this and that wasn't done. The drug part is important for all of us.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Chip, this is really useful information. I haven`t read it all, it was so slow in downloading, but it`s good to know it`ll be there when needed.

Good luck with the consultant. Can`t wait to hear how you get on.

janetruth

Mar 20, 2007
nuneaton
questionable

My mum is nearly 82 and moved in with us 8 months ago, my dad died 7 years ago and mum was managing by herself, until we noticed at the start of last year she was neglecting herself and insisted she was ok. Anyway to cut a very long story short she was prescribed REMINYL XL 8mg (no side effects, thank goodness) in November, her score when she had mmse test was 23 but when she had test in March she scored 21. According to this my mum is classed as MILD.
But mum has all the classic signs of MID-STAGE, so I was just curious as to who decides a proper diagnosis and at what stage someone is at.
I must say though that some days are better than others and from what I have learnt from reading the posts on this site is to take every day as it comes. Good days will be treasured memories for me.
Bye for now.

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
I personaly dont think its a reliable form of testing. When my Mum (who died 3 years ago) got tested she could answer all the questions no problem this went on for years, she could even do quizes but the rest was bad.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
It certainly wouldn't work for John. I honestly think he would score 0, because of his lack of comprehension. Yet he is so well in so many ways.

Thanks for the info, chip

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarbH