NHS no feed

shaunandelly

Nov 30, 2020
Looking for advice. I am a carer for my Mum who was admitted to hospital 2 months ago with what turned out to be another life limiting condition. Very quickly after admission it became apparent that staff couldn't feed her,so I did and have since.
Discharge was arranged to care home with verbal agreement for me to feed her after ward asserted that to do otherwise would not meet her nutritional needs. However discharge was a from another step down ward and it was done by way of pronouncement.
within 2 hours of arriving at the home they had a covid incident which set into motion a policy that precluded me accessing the premises.
Mum received no food or drink from lunchtime on the 24th Nov until the 28th after readmission on the 27th Nov....because they too couldn't as predicted feed her.
She is now back on a ward and I am feeding her again but am afraid they will try to boot her out and the same thing will happen again....with predictably fatal consequences............Pals have been informed but even the safeguarding chap seems to be making noises about sending her back to the home.
advice please..
Shaun

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Why on earth didnt the home feed her? I'd say that was unusual.
The issue you have is surely with the home, not the hospital?

You say ''Couldn't....' Why couldnt they? a physical reason? postive? Aggression....something else?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You said that she has a life limiting condition (more than one?) and this sounds like she is refusing food.
Do you know if she is considered to be at End of Life?