NHS minor ailments scheme

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by nitram, Feb 8, 2015.

1. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Following on from some posts in Izzy's thread about this scheme which allows people who don't pay prescription charges to obtain a range of medications free from pharmacists I had a look at what is in it for the NHS and found these rather eye watering statistics which I thought might be of interest.

The estimate comes from an analysis of research findings[1], released by the RPS on 19 October 2014. These suggest that the cost of treating a patient for a minor ailment, such as a cough or sore throat, is £29.30 in a community pharmacy but nearly five times higher (£147.09) in a hospital accident and emergency (A&E) department and nearly three times higher (£82.34) if the same patient is seen by a GP.
    http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.c...heme-could-help-save-nhs-1bn/20066912.article

Somebody getting free Imodium under this scheme would appear to cost the NHS £29.30 but that is less than £82.50 via the GP or £147.09 via A&E.

Not all pharmacists participate in the scheme and aliments covered may change according to the CCG involved.

For reference the ailments covered by my CCG are:-

• athletes foot
    • constipation
    • cough
    • cystitis
    • diarrhoea
    • earache
    • fever
    • hay fever/allergic rhinitis/allergies
    • head lice
    • indigestion
    • insect bites/stings
    • mouth ulcers
    • sore throat
    • sprains/strains
    • teething
    • threadworm
    • upper respiratory tract infection
    • vaginal thrush
    • verrucas
    • warts

You can only view the above article a limited number of times unless you subscribe or clear your cookies. If using Chrome just go incognito.

Admn/mods feel free to move if not in correct sub forum, I thought it was of wider interest than members only tea room.

2. WILLIAMR

WILLIAMR Account Closed

Apr 12, 2014
    I know A & E is overloaded but a wider family member suddenly found breathing getting more difficult basically because of mucus caused by a cold.
    As he was by himself that night and he lives very close to A & E he decided to go there as a precaution.
    All A & E told him to do was to take paracetamol and to get a few hours of sleep.
    A medic may be able to say he wasted the time of A & E but he is not a medic.

William