NHS Funding

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello All

At long last I have been able to arrange an assessment for Mum who is in a secure EMI care home, in the later stages of AD.

This came about after losing patience with my brother doing nothing about getting it, ........the one thing he has been asked to do!!........ and my sister being told on the phone that Mum would not get it if we applied.

I fired off an e-mail to the local health authority and got a response the next day asking for an appointment to be made for an assessmant.

My sister spoke to a lady who is seeing Mum this Thursday, she is sympathetic to the fact that all AD patients should receive funding, but made it clear that the committee who will make the decision may well say no.

Inspired by this forum, I will, when the funding is refused, appeal and do the best I can for her.

Wish me luck!

Kathleen

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Kathleen,
Maybe you can help.
My mum is in a private Nursing Home.
She is unable to walk unless aided by 2 assistants, somedays she is unable to weight bear.
She cannot feed herself.
She is incontinent.
She is underweight and it is being monitored.
Although she has no bed sores, because of her low weight, her skin is considered vulnerable.
She cannot self medicate.
She cannot talk.
She has to have her legs elevated in a chair, otherwise she falls out.
She was diagnosed with vascular dementia.
She can smile. She can swallow.
She has initially been assessed as qualifying for the Middle band of NHS Nursing funding, though the Home feels that she should be on the high rate, and are going to question the assessment. Stuff I have read about NHS Continuing Care makes me think we should ask for an assessment, but I don't know.
I would welcome your opinion, and that of anyone else who has some knowledge about this.
Thanks
Amy

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Amy
just to butt in, Jan fits all of the descriptions you have made, and receives NHS Continuing Care funding for all her care needs, plus extra funding for 1-to-1 care.

Maybe we are on postcodes again......

Worth trying for though.

Jan's care home is a private one, but is wholly funded by the PCT, and was selected by them when they moved her from assessment. Maybe that makes a difference, but I can't see why it would.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
OK thanks Bruce,
So being ignorant, how do I go about it? I am so fed up with the NHS and system giving us no information, if there is any chance that mum is entitled to this then I will try and get it for her. Do I have to contact the PCT, and if so how do I get details about who they are and where to contact?
Amy

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Amy,

I'd suggest you follow the route I did.

Firstly, contact your local AS branch. Then ask them if they can help. That's what did the job for us.

Alternatively, call the AS Help Line and ask them for advice.

I can't really give any war stories or advice other than that, because the route above that I took meant that it all happened without any stamping of feet on people's necks.

Maybe that was one of the only three pieces of luck I have had in the whole business:

1) NHS Continuing Care
2) a great care home
3) Nina

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Amy

I contacted them via their website and had a response the next day.

Prior to this my sister had spoken to someone on the phone and was told no assessment was needed as she was in a care home!

I have just this minute come in from the home where my sister and I saw her psychiatrist, the one who took her off galantamine, that was interesting.

He said that he took her off it as she had been on it for three years, but said there was nothing to be gained by keeping her on it as she was beginning to deteriorate.

I asked him for his views on continuing care payments and he said he was angry with the politicians promising everything and giving nothing, but he is going to contact the PCT with a report of Mum's condition and needs, so maybe that will help.

Kathleen