1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

    Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

NHS funded care for double incontenant nan?

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Stewart1982, Oct 7, 2015.

  1. Stewart1982

    Stewart1982 Registered User

    Oct 7, 2015
    Hi all,

    I'm new to this site so first of all hello!

    I wanted to know if anyone knows the answer to my question.
    Last year my 90yo nan started to act a bit odd & kept making errors, mixing up dates ect. This was the start of an aggressive dementia.
    She has changed dramatically and she is currently living with my mother but it's taking its toll on her and the stress is all a bit much. The psychological stress is very demanding and my mother is becoming increasingly emotional as it's taking over her life, even with the odd bit of help from carers.

    My nan is now double incontenant and can barely walk due to the illness. We can't have a conversation with her anymore as she doesn't know what's going on.

    My question is this, my nan still owns a property which is currently vacant but we are reluctant to sell the property to pay towards putting her in care. I have heard, although it's a very grey area that if someone is doubly incontenant they are entitled to free care through the NHS.

    Can anyone please put any clarity on this please?


  2. jenniferpa

    jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

    Jun 27, 2006
    Welcome to Talking Point.

    I'm walking out the door at the moment, hence the short post, but I'm sorry no: there is no such test as "double incontinence means you get CHC".
  3. garnuft

    garnuft Registered User

    Sep 7, 2012
    I'm on the way to bed but I agree with Jennifer.

    Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point
  4. jaymor

    jaymor Volunteer Moderator

    Jul 14, 2006
    Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

    A word with your Gran's GP may get you an appointment with a continence nurse who might possibly offer some free pads, probably not enough but as said by Jennifer and garnuft NHS CHC will not be given for double incontinence.
  5. theunknown

    theunknown Registered User

    Apr 17, 2015
    Unfortunately with any health problems that arise and are linked to dementia (and any other type of mental ill-health I would imagine) it seems to be a case of, "You're on your own". The fact that physical health and mental health can't be separated when it comes to care and treatment is ignored by the Health and Social Care Act. The physical symptoms might lead to admittance to hospital, but they'll want the bed back as soon as possible.

    Sorry to hear about your problems. It's extremely stressful, but you'll get lots of support on here x
  6. katek

    katek Registered User

    Jan 19, 2015

    As others have correctly said, it is not double incontinence in itself that could qualify for CHC, - it is the totality of all her needs, one of which would be mobility, for example, which you mention. A formal checklist is always the first step in any CHC assessment anyway, which has to be passed in order to proceed further. You could always request this to be done - via her GP/social services. Realistically, though, it sounds as if she would not be likely to get this unless she had severe behaviour issues as well.

    It sounds as if you/your mother need to get a bit more practical help (e.g. dealing with her incontinence) more than anything. So again, it would be worth contacting your nan's GP, and/or social services. If, for example, some sort of arrangements of regular carer visits were put in place, your nan may have to pay for this depending on what sort of savings and pension she has. Also, if she were to go into care - if that is deemed the best option all round - again, her income and savings would be considered, as well as the value of her house. She would not necessarily have to sell it now - there is such a thing as deferred payment. Or it could be let out to help cover the care home fees

    So, I think the best thing is to contact both her GP and social services, and go from there.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.