NHS continuing care funding

karenweech

Nov 9, 2006
Coventry
Hello, has anyone out there been successful in securing NHS continuing care for their loved one?? if so what were your circumstances?

My mum has just gone into a care home & we are at the beginning of exploring all options

love to hear from you

Karen

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi Karen

Mum went into an EMI Residential Care Home because of her AD. After a few months we applied for NHS CC and after 18 months were awarded a back dated payment.

If you can meet the requirements of the “Check List” then ask for an assessment. You will then be assesses by staff using the “support tool”.

Both the “check list” and “support tool” can be downloaded from

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/SocialCare/Deliveringadultsocialcare/Continuingcare/DH_073912

But do remember that your loved one is the person who benefits from obtaining NHS CC… If you are paying your Nursing Home fees each month it is in no one else’s interest to change this, so you will have to keep pushing.

Clive

Marianne

Jul 5, 2008
NW England
Hi Karen

I was successful at gaining CHC funding at a retrospective review panel in Nov'07

My dad was initially discharged from hospital in Jan'05 without being assessed for his health needs which were many Vascular Dementia, Prostate Cancer and Diabetes. Instead he was assessed by Social Services for his health care needs and means tested.

I was not aware of CHC funding and only became aware in 2006 after watching a Panorama programme on the subject. I requested an assessment but through a lack of understanding I allowed this assessment to be carried out without a health needs approach. With everything that was happening at the time with my dad I didn't have time to apply again. It was June 2007 when I applied again and I was given a panel date in November. It isn't an easy process and it can be very stressful.

Trying my best

Dec 9, 2008
Yorkshire
I got full NHS CC funding for my mother, who still lives in her own home. The circumstances are that she has very little congitive functioning - she doesn't know who anyone is (although she knows who she feels comfortable with), cannot communicate any of her needs (she talks incessantly, but what she says makes no sense), gets extremely upset/angry/agressive (very difficult to care for, which I suspect is why they have not pushed for her to go into a home), is doubly incontinent, and needs to be fed/given water most of the time. She has no mobility problems whatsoever, which puts her at risk in all sorts of ways as she cannot understand danger but can get to dangerous places very easily!

The Decision Support Tool is the most important thing for you to look at, in as much detail as you possibly can. The people who assess your loved one's eligibility are required to use this as the basis of their decisions, but as other people have said, assessments are not always completely objective. I suggest you download the support tool and make a list of EVERYTHING you can possibly think of that might fall under any of the 'care domains'. Be sure to bring up every incident/habit/issue that you can think of at the meeting.

You will also need to be able to show how complex, severe and unpredictable your loved one's needs are.

Best of luck!