NHS Continuing Care, chances of approval.

Quick72

Nov 2, 2015
I had a meeting with someone from Social Services today regarding my 86 year old mother, an Alzheimer's sufferer with extreme mood swings, sleepless nights and challenging behavioral issues, the Council person surmised that a regular residential home wasn't suitable for her and she needed full time care + nursing.

AFAIK is it the case that NHS Continuing Healthcare is very rarely granted?, especially in the case of Dementia / Alzheimers patients, I've looked at the checklist and she would only score clear C's in continence, communication and breathing, the other eight categories are all clear A/B's and her medical and hospital history would attest to it.

Having said that, I'm only guestimating a 10% chance of getting it, do many people have experiences of this?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
It is very difficult to generalise about the chances of success with CHC Quick 72. A lot may depend on where your mum lives.

You may find this thread helpful if you haven't found it already.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
I've read 15% total applicants get CHC funding BUT there's huge regional variability (ie the "post code lottery" still applies to a certain extent).

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Mum screamed a lot, couldn't feed herself, doubly incontient, resisted personal care, immobile, skin tissue viability an issue, couldn't hold a drink to her mouth, paranoid hallucinations.

CHC said she didn't have any health needs and refused funding as she only got 2 or 3 A and they wanted the full house. :mad:

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Only me, if your Mum got 2 (or 3) As at the Checklist stage she was entitled to go forward for full assessment! It was procedurally wrong of them not to "pass" her.

If you're not "out of time", then please consider appealing.

geum123

May 20, 2009
Mum screamed a lot, couldn't feed herself, doubly incontient, resisted personal care, immobile, skin tissue viability an issue, couldn't hold a drink to her mouth, paranoid hallucinations.

So did my Dad, Onlyme.
I appealed retrospectively, and got all his nursing home fees back.

emmyt

Nov 9, 2015
might be useful to know

I had a meeting with someone from Social Services today regarding my 86 year old mother, an Alzheimer's sufferer with extreme mood swings, sleepless nights and challenging behavioral issues, the Council person surmised that a regular residential home wasn't suitable for her and she needed full time care + nursing.

AFAIK is it the case that NHS Continuing Healthcare is very rarely granted?, especially in the case of Dementia / Alzheimers patients, I've looked at the checklist and she would only score clear C's in continence, communication and breathing, the other eight categories are all clear A/B's and her medical and hospital history would attest to it.

Having said that, I'm only guestimating a 10% chance of getting it, do many people have experiences of this?

Hi, i am new here but thought it might be useful to add continuing healthcare assessments are not based solely on the patients needs but also how these needs can be managed.. it particularly considers whether these needs are complex, intense or unpredictable. I often attend CHC meetings for my patients who have dementia and 'challenging behaviour' and most often the funding is awarded because of the unpredictable nature of their condition and subsequent behaviours. Although you may percieve your relative to have very high needs, they are unlikely to get CHC funding if these needs are predictable and can be managed by skilled carers.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Welcome to TP, emmyt. It's often very helpful to other members when people with direct experience of a process and how it operates in a number of cases post here.

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
Does anyone think the chances of being granted CHC could be directly related to the LA funding maximum rate.

In areas with a very low LA rate only self funders will get into Nursing Homes. Where would everyone else go, maybe the qualifying bar is set lower.

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hello quick72. I first applied for personalisation/ direct payment in April 2014 and have just been awarded £850 . Along with contributions from my mothers other benefits we employ a personal carer , who has been absolutely vital in the ongoing care of my mum. My mum had a stroke 26years ago and diagnosed with dementia 13 years ago. I live with my mum and between her carer and myself we provide 24/7 care . I am so sorry you were not awarded this as I believe it should be made more widely available . We are only trying to provide the best care we can possibly give for our family. Its so unfair that we are not afforded that privilege . Can you appeal? I sincerely hope so and you are awarded it . Best of luck . Lou

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LDrew