NHS continued funding

Ginnykk5

Jan 6, 2015
Hemel Hempstead
If you have dementia , can you not get NHS continued care funding? My dad had a check list done, he failed but I was not given a report. Social service implied he'd got two A's but one was cancelled out because he had dementia so didn't make it to full assesment.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
There's a long thread on TP all about CHC - I'm fairly sure it was started by stanleypj. It's well worth reading!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
>>>THIS<<< is a link to the CHC support thread.

CHC can be granted for any illness or disease, it is granted when a 'primary health need' has been established using the DST.

You could ask SS for more details. The comment about one A being cancelled because he had dementia does not make sense, having dementia cannot cancel any score. One explanation could be that some symptom or event was entered into two domains that were both graded A and then one downgraded because the information had been entered in the other, this is incorrect

In certain cases interdependence between domains can actually be used to upgrade scores using complexity as an argument.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
If you have dementia , can you not get NHS continued care funding? My dad had a check list done, he failed but I was not given a report. Social service implied he'd got two A's but one was cancelled out because he had dementia so didn't make it to full assesment.

Dementia on it's own doesn't qualify one for CHC. As many here will testify, it seems unfair that it isn't officially recognised as a disease of the brain, but it would literally totally break the NHS if it was.

Strangely, in the early stages, if someone is violent and has challenging behaviour they are more likely to qualify it appears than someone at end-stage, bed-ridden, doubly incontinent, non-communicative and having to be fed with bedsores etc.

Havemercy

Oct 8, 2012

You should definitely have been given an opportunity to be present when the screening checklist was carried out - in fact the person carrying out the checklist has to "tick the box" that the NOK was offered such an opportunity to be involved. Also you are very much entitled to have a copy of the checklist. If this were me I would be asking for a copy and also an explanation as to why they haven't followed the rules. But you may not wish to go down this route.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LDrew