• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

NHS CHC funding assessment / Nursing home fees

keekee

May 27, 2020
Can anyone help please.
My Dad was discharged from hospital on 13.1.20 into a discharge to assess bed (d2a bed) awaiting an NHS CHC funding assessment.
The hospital told the Nursing home that while he was there he needed 1 to 1 care as he is at very high risk of falling
dad had the NHS CHC funding assessment within 4 weeks of being in the d2a bed but the assessor said she needed more info from the Nursing home regarding the 1 to 1 care to decide if they would pay for the 1 to 1 care. (not the actual Nursing home fees though).
While she was awaiting the additional info from the Nursing home the Coronavirus lockdown came in and he has now been in the d2a bed for 19 weeks and I still have nothing at all in writing about his NHS CHC funding assessment results or his 1 to 1 care.
I believe that the d2a bed is free until you have had the NHS CHC funding results.
I have yet to have any request for payment of Nursing Home fees.

My question is:-
Can the County Council of Local Authority ask me to pay for the 15 weeks (19 - 4 = 15) Dad has spent in the d2a bed.

Louise7

Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum @keekee My mum went through the D2A process. You are correct, the bed is free until the CHC decision is made. However, the bed is being paid for by the NHS - not the local authority - so they shouldn't be requesting that you make any payment for the 15 weeks (or longer) that it takes to reach a decision about funding.

These type of placements are managed by the local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and I'm aware that because of the covid-19 situation CHC assessments have been put on hold for the time being, plus extra funding has been made available to pay for the additional costs to the NHS that the delays in making CHC decisions will cause them. I'm sure that the nursing home manager wouldn't have let the situation to go on for so long if the NHS had stopped paying for your dad so hopefully this has put your mind at rest.

keekee

May 27, 2020
Welcome to the forum @keekee My mum went through the D2A process. You are correct, the bed is free until the CHC decision is made. However, the bed is being paid for by the NHS - not the local authority - so they shouldn't be requesting that you make any payment for the 15 weeks (or longer) that it takes to reach a decision about funding.

These type of placements are managed by the local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and I'm aware that because of the covid-19 situation CHC assessments have been put on hold for the time being, plus extra funding has been made available to pay for the additional costs to the NHS that the delays in making CHC decisions will cause them. I'm sure that the nursing home manager wouldn't have let the situation to go on for so long if the NHS had stopped paying for your dad so hopefully this has put your mind at rest.
Thank you for your reply Louise it is very useful.
I don't trust these people therefore my thoughts are that they will ''try it on''.
My stance would be that although I have been told verbally Dad doesn't qualify for funding I have had nothing in writing therefore I shouldn't have to pay the retrospective fees,
only fees from the date I receive written confirmation of Dad not qualifying.
We shall see.