NHS care?

tinker

May 4, 2006
Hello everyone, I'm new to talking point so am not sure where to start... Does anyone have experience of NHS assessment wards?

My father was until recently a resident in an NHS ward, where I witnessed the most appalling conditions. Patients / Residents not changed regularly, filthy living conditions, a general apathy from staff both nurses and ward managers.

Unfortunately we were not 'allowed' to remove him from the ward and we were also told that he was unsuitable for a nursing home. So he was stuck in there and we could do nothing to get him out.

I'd appreciate any guidance that you may have. It's too late for my Father, but I know there are patients in their being treated badly and I'd like to try and do something to stop it.

Thanks for listening and for any advice you may have...

Last edited:

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
tinker said:
Hello everyone, I'm new to talking point so am not sure where to start... Does anyone have experience of NHS assessment wards?

My father was until recently a resident in an NHS ward, where I witnessed the most appalling conditions. Patients / Residents not changed regularly, filthy living conditions, a general apathy from staff both nurses and ward managers.

Unfortunately we were not 'allowed' to remove him from the ward and we were also told that he was unsuitable for a nursing home. So he was stuck in there and we could do nothing to get him out.

I'd appreciate any guidance that you may have. It's too late for my Father, but I know there are patients in their being treated badly and I'd like to try and do something to stop it.

Thanks for listening and for any advice you may have...

I'm sorry to hear of your dad's experience. I would think that PALS would be a good starting point to make a complaint to. Also Action on Elder Abuse, although if you contact the latter then telephone them, don't email as I waited a month for a reply to an email!

http://www.elderabuse.org.uk/

If the ward your dad was on is part of a large hospital then they should have their own PALS team. Otherwise there is some info on NHS Direct. I hope this is of some help.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=1082

tinker

May 4, 2006
Thank you...

I'll have a look at both links and will keep you updated on any progress, thanks.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Tinker
all good advice.
In addition I would write,recorded delivery to the trust chairman.
Advise him of your fears and inform him that will be speaking to the media, if no answers are forthcoming.
You still have your MP left if all else fails.
Norman

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Pah!

I think the 'suggestion' of media involvement would be the stronger option of those 2 suggestions.
No offence Norman, but if I waited for my MP to actually DO SOMETHING (as opposed to asking his secretary to sent me another flannellette reply) I will be dead of old age.