NHS Accident - Need advice urgently as mum may need to go into a nursing home

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
NHS Accident - Need advice urgently

My darling Mum had an accident whilst in hospital - up until then she was recovering well from an infection.

She needed surgery and I've been told that she may never walk again and might need to go into a nursing home. This event has fast forwarded any potential plans for mum to go into care. She still knows who I am and is making some progress with the physios, but the reality is that she may end up bedbound.

A year ago she had been assessed by SS as needing residential care. This changes everything - do we get any help with the fees from the NHS?

Last edited:

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Sorry to hear your Mum has had an accident. I hope she is recovering pain free.

I'm not sure what question you're asking but it seems to be 'Are the NHS responsible for her care since her accident happened in hospital?'

The first thing that would need to be established is if the accident could have been avoided if better care had been provided?

Then... is the Hospital culpable for any failings in their care?

If not, then your Mum will have to be assessed for CHC funding in the same way as every other citizen.

One thing doesn't necessarily lead to another.

An accident doesn't necessarily mean neglect.

So sorry your Mum had an accident and sorry to hear that she has deteriorated since her accident and surgery.

I hope she is comfortable, calm, pain and angst free.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
The first thing that would need to be established is if the accident could have been avoided if better care had been provided?

Then... is the Hospital culpable for any failings in their care?

The circumstances surrounding the accident are currently being looked into. The are a number of issues that have to be addressed and I've spoken to a number of senior staff.

I just have to be realistic, whilst trying to be hopeful at the same time.

Thank you for replying

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I am sorry to hear your mum had an accident whilst in hospital and needed surgery.

I do hope that they are wrong about mum not being able to walk again and that your mum in time makes a good recovery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar