NHS: £2 Billion a week and counting!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Is anyone watching the programme on Channel 4 right now? They just said that providing an Amiral Nurse for a year would cost the NHS £375 a year. Oh my God, is that all? That is nothing! How haven't we got more of them? I don't believe this.

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Sorry the thread title was meant to be NHS: £2 Billion a week and counting! I pressed send too early.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Thanks my love. I think I was still in shock when I pressed Send. The lady in the programme is shaving her husband just like I do with OH!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Maybe? I just did a quick search and it appears the cost per year for 1 Admiral Nurse is around £80,000. That would mean (if that was the cost per patient) each nurse would have 213 patients on their books. That seems an awful lot of patients to do a good job but it might be so.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
They just said on the programme that this one nurse sees 90 patients. Not quite as much but still an awful lot. Rolling them out nationwide would apparently cost millions but carers like us save the NHS £8 billion a year. I hope I got the figure right, they throw a lot of numbers at you.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
What is this program you are watching?

Edit: ah - OK I see - your title is its title.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Universal benefits for pensioners cost £4 billion + per year. Perhaps some money could be brought back into the system by means testing pensioners?

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Mental Health Trusts are given funds by the government (not enough of course) to spend (as they see fit) to meet local local community needs. My Mental Health trust decided to cut out Admiral Nurses, as they did in my local area but paid their non executive directors a substantial increase for working two days a week sitting in on committee meetings.

What can I say. Top heavy or what??

xxTinaT

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
What is this program you are watching?

Edit: ah - OK I see - your title is its title.

Sorry, you're in the US, aren't you? It's a programme showcasing different situations like a breast reduction on the NHS (£4000), a new liver for an alcoholic (£73000) and an Admiral Nurse for someone with dementia (£375). The programme was also telling us what the NHS could do with the money instead. I have no wish to comment on the other cases but the dementia one really shocked me.

Adcat

Jun 15, 2014
London
I have just finished watching. I am now thoroughly depressed and will have a good cry before overdosing on chocolate. Now I feel guilty for self indulging but without us where on earth would those we look after be?