NH in lockdown again with flu - redux

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Except this time, Mum is ill. It started Wednesday when I got the call that Mum was running a bit of fever. They are isolating her in her room. I've bee checking and the fever has abated, they are giving her Tamiflu and she's eating well,

They didn't have to mention the last - Mum has a great appetite. :)

But last Sunday when we were there, a staff member came in sick. The nurse ws urging her to see a doctor, I suspect she may have been the disease vector. I emailed the GM, the director of nursing and the co-ordinator of Mum's unit my concerns and received a rather condescending email asking if I had received and read the GM's email about the safety measures they were taking. To which I replied yes, but obviously the staff member needed to follow their protocol. I also pointed out this was the second outbreak this year. I was polite but said that staff members who came in ill should be sent home.

I'm annoyed,

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I send my staff home when they are ill, mainly because I don't want the whole office to go down with it, especially me! But when you're dealing with elderly and vulnerable people it's just stupid to allow staff to work when they're ill.

I hope your mum recovers soon Joanne. It's a good sign that she's still eating well, as otherwise it can become a vicious circle.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Recurring nightmare

Mum did recover with no lasting effects. The visiting restrictions were lifted last week but they have had another outbreak and again they are asking people not to visit. It is a respiratory outbreak, suspected to be influenza A but they are waiting for the swab results.

The main problem as I see it are the family members who insist on going in regardless. Yes, the vaccine this year isn't as effective, yes, there was a staff member that I know of who went to work ill but I know of quite a few people who went in regardless.

This has been the worst year for outbreaks since my mother moved there in 2003, in terms of the time the home has been in shutdown. I think it's been at least 7 weeks overall since January 1 and we're only halfway through March.

I am not really worried about Mum as she's quite healthy overall. But I get twitchy when I can't see her for extended periods of time. We were there on the weekend and she was fine. Still, it's very frustrating.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Joanne what a shame. It really must be hard and I understand why you must feel twitchy about not seeing your mum.

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Feel for you, my Mums home has just reopened after two weeks of Noro virus, we stayed away but I know other relatives still went in and I am convinced that this is why it goes on so long, the staff say they can only advise people to stay away, they can not force this. I met one of the relatives who insists on going in every time they are in shut down, she says they should never have this virus in the home and it is their fault :rolleyes: I said to her it was probably started by a visitor coming in with the illness as their hygiene is very good but she wouldn't have it. I had to stop talking to her as I would have ended up being rude to her.

Angel

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Angel, I completely agree with you. I'm certain the most likely vector of infection is someone coming in ill and that someone most likely a visitor.

As for that woman you spoke to, where does she think the virus comes in from? The tooth fairy? People like that make me angry also. You did well to walk away, although the temptation to say something is almost overwhelming, isn't it?

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
the home is still in lockdown. I had an annual care conference scheduled first Mar 17 then this coming Thursday. I normally go in for the care conference but have asked if we could do it by teleconference this time. I do want to discuss mum's recent change to a pureed diet and a number of other things.

It's grinding me down not seeing her. I normally visit once a week, sometimes more when I can but between the lockdown and my husband's illnesses (we never visit when one of us is ill), I feel I've hardly seen my mother this year. Literally this year as we're on the third lockdown so far.

I know she is being cared for properly it's just that I feel every lost opportunity to see her is just that - a lost opportunity I won't have again. I stay in touch but it's not the same.

Sorry, just feeling a little anxious and agitated myself.