NH decline

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
I have been told (not by SW but by hospital) that all NH's have declined to take my husband. They also told me SW were trying to get his status changed to over 65's to get put into a Dementia Unit and getting the funding changed as well. I am not sure what that means as he is 54. Does anyone know or heard about this or where someone can tell me about it.

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Just had a phone call from SW going to get another NH assesment but big doupts again. SW is going to go back to consultant if they also decline. It might now end up continuing care. This is now leaving me again not knowing where i stand. We are in no- mans- land again. I am now on DLA because of my walking problems and can't work ( I was to put a CV in for a job but can't now) I still can't plan anything. Not knowing is worse than knowing.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear chip, I don't see how they can possibly change the status of a 54 year old to over 65. He is the age he is!

I learned at a meeting last week that NHs are licenced to have two beds for under 65s. These are usually fully occupied, so there is nowhere available for respite. I don't know if this applies just to this area, or whether its national policy.

Surely if they say your husband can't come home, and no NH will take him, they have to give him continuing care. Though whether you'd want him to stay where he is is another question.

Let us know how it goes.

Love,

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
I've been told if 3 NH's decline thats when they think about continuing care. I can't find a thing about this ruling. 2 have already declined him. Advocacy is going on the ward round next week so will see what happens then.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Dear Chip,

It is such a beurocratic nightmare when you have dementia in the under 65 age group. I wrote a long, long letter to my MP last year about this very thing! It is about time that the government stopped this law which only licences NH for the over 65 age group. Some NH have a bed or two set aside for younger age group handicapped. Can anything be done for you along these lines? My love to you in this difficult time xx TinaT

Westie

May 14, 2007
South East London/Surrey border
Dear Chip,

What a nightmare time for you. It seems that everything possible is done to make this time as difficult as it can be. With the ever increasing number of people under 65 needing care, it is a disgrace that no one seems able to help.

I'm sorry I can't offer any help/advice as I'm a few steps behind you with this. Only told last week to find somewhere suitable for my husband (52) and am already struggling to locate anywhere remotely suitable. He too is in assessment unit waiting - for what/where??

I really hope you get some better news at the next ward round.

Mary-Ann

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Since he got diagnoised its been a fight. A lot of age discrimination. I feel for those younger and their families knowing what battle they have in front of them along with coping to care. It has told on my health. I went to see the MSP a few times about it but it didn't get me anywhere.
A lot of younger suffers deteriorate fast (as my husband did). And there is no provision for this, as it is seen as there are not a lot of them. Age and cost comes before condition and needs.
Will let you know what happens next week