NFTs

Nefer

Aug 11, 2003
Tyldesley
I have been doing research work in ALS for many years and when I teamed up with Professor Nicolson in the States, we found that micro organisms were present in a significant number of Gulf War and civilian patients. This preliminary research was published in the Journal of Clinical Neuroscience.

However, an interesting thing is that there are neurofibrillary tangles (NFTs) in people with ALS, and on Guam, there are cases of several neurological illnesses occurring together with NFTs.

Although the pathology in Alheimers also has plaques, I am interested to find out if the NFTs are the same in ALS and Alzheimers. In another of my papers, I have found that what are called 'inclusion bodies' may provide some evidence for micro organisms which have entered the nervous system.

I know that this forum can't be used to recruit for research. This is just for information.

I am trying to get a university to help me with further lab work, but am finding it not very easy to get support.

I hope to contact the Alzheimer's Society to see if there is anyone who can help me further with this, as I think the NFTs might provide a valuable clue to aetiology. I am hoping to contact other researchers who are trying to stop the formation of amyloid and also NFTs.

One of the problems with new research substances is that they are not available for clinical use, mainly because of being untested. This is an area which I would like to discuss in the future - the possibility of having the chance to pioneer treatments this way.

Nefer

Aug 11, 2003
Tyldesley
options with new discoveries

This is an example of what I mean when something new is reported and you want to follow it up. I don't mean to pre-empt safety issues, but here is what happened when I wanted to try a new option, HSP27. Note the dead-end of the conversation. And the complete absence of any access channels for opening up the formation of any decision-making body re. the issue.

Bear in mind, my primary goal is to slow down the process of NFts and Plaques. So I asked as follows:

Reply:
Unfortunately HSP27 is not ready as a cure yet for Alzheimers etc. Although HSP27 has been found to be useful in slowing down the disease process, it has not been developed as a treatment as yet.

Me:
Ok. So how about the possibility of "encouraging" a presence of HSP27 within the body?

How could we provoke the protein, or otherwise use a substance which would make it circulate in the CNS?

No more replies.

Nefer

Aug 11, 2003
Tyldesley
no replies

Here is a request I made to a doctor. I didn't even get a reply. nothing at all was attempted.
Why is there not an access board for Alzheimer's Carers and researchers to bye-pass this situation?
3. Mycoplasma tests; justification - recently found in some neurological conditions.

Some micro organisms do not test positive with some standard lab procedures but do so with molecular tests such as PCR. This particularly applies to mycoplasma where they are detected by nuclear gene tracking in the leukocyte fraction of fresh blood.

If some of these methods are not done on UK labs,then if you will arrange for blood to be taken at some convenient time,I can send the samples to the Institute of Molecular Medicine,California, where I do collaborative medical research work.

General justification: If any of these tests are returned +, then it may positively affect patient management by widening the options for combating my mother's symptoms.

Further,I would like to discuss the synthetic analog of Staurosporin (GF103209X) which has been found to reduce PMA stimulated amyloid precursor protein.