news paper interveiwer coming

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
I have the local newspaper coming on Friday to interview they have been alerted about the bad state our area is in. I have been asked if they can take photos of us i'm not too sure about that. I plan though to question about getting high charged for respite etc and no proper care/ respite for younger people. I also aim to bring up that younger people get no help with heating costs or grants for heating repairs and the age discrimination how this hits the family. I am a bit nervous about it but with the Social Services charging £257.01 a week for respite this is going to hit Christmas. I no i am in Scotland but if this is happening in your area i will mention it to them I also aim to bring to light that younger people can get Dementia. I am looking for all your help as to what to say to them. You can ether post or send me a PM

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Chip, good luck for the coming interview.

I am not aware that there is any additional help for younger people with dementia, whether in England or Scotland. We certainly have never had any financial help, as Lionel has some monies of his own, but a friend of ours, who was just 50 when diagnosed has not had any help either.

So at 50, having to give up work, he is denied any heating supplements etc.
Thinking of you, regards,

MrsP

Mar 19, 2005
Hi Chip

I wish you luck in your interview, good for you for speaking out.

I know that Dad had to give up work aged 50 and had to fight to even get disability living allowance- he ended up having to fill in the form 3 times (anyone who has seen the form will know how mindblowing it is without AD). As far as I am aware he gets no help with anything else, but (fortunately) we haven't had to worry about respite yet............

Again, hope it goes well.

love, Kate x.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi chip,
Try to relax when they come, as local newpapers are usually more considerate than the nationals.
These people usually know about this illness if they are doing there job right, and on the whole are courteous and helpful. Usually they will tell you what they are going to ask, so that you can have time to think about it. They are usually on the ball with all the latest news.

Best wishes and I hope it goes well.
Keep us informed.

kenc

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Thanks all i need it. Been told though others are involved. I think i have enough for a whole news paper. I have also printed out the links on this site eg NHS the great deceit and the should you pay for the nursing home. I also have the DHS our health our care our say making it happen and the 2002 what was going to happen and hasnt and its nearly 2007. So i have prove that things are just put on paper and are not acted on. I am going to give it all to the reporter. I would have also liked to have met up with the other people they are interviewing who are having problems

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Chip

I echo KenC's advice. Try and stay calm and relaxed, the reporter is not the enemy. If you can make your points quietly, there's a good chance they will angle the report to suit you.

If you go in with all guns blazing, they might make you out to be a harridan. If they bring a photographer, they'll ask you to look fierce, and you'll be in the paper looking like a dragon for all to see!

It's a good idea to write out what you want to say, and show it to them first. That way, they might ask you the right questions!

As Ken says, they'll be very polite and friendly. But it's all in the editing!

Good luck

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Well thats it done I got asked what he was like at the begining of it what his symtoms were and what the doctors done to diagnoise. I raised the awareness that younger people are now getting Dementia and the lack of care and respite. Will see on Monday what is printed though. I didn't like getting the photos done though i said what they were asking us to do would be false but i think we got caught as i was touching his nose (i do that in the mornings and he laughs then gets up)
At the same time though i was on the phone to a lovely helpful Alzheimers welfare rights guy who i cant thank enough as he found out that we were getting charged wrong by Social Services for the respite. I had phoned him up telling him that they were taking 100% of what we had coming in. He checked it up and told me that they had done it wrong they had taken in the care allowance and they shouldnt for respite and also they should have halved the occupation pension they had not taken into account home responsibilites. He phoned them up and done it all for me and got it confirmed. All i have to do is put it into writting and complain as well. I have to check back with him that they do it. Social Services i dont trust them now:( Alizheimers help line and services cant thank enough:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryMc086