New's Item

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Moose,

It sounds like a very interesting trial. The only point that I can't work out is why on earth they would need to run a parallel dummy trial along with it. Ginko will either work or not work.

Jude

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi there - I was just about to read the Scotsman when I decided to look at the posts instead. It makes interesting reading - I wonder if they intend to extend their research outwith London?

Izzy

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Moose I did try Ginco for my wife many years ago,it did not appear to have any effect, nor could I find any scientific evidence of it's effectiveness
Norman

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Nada,

I do understand about the placebo effect. I studied Pschology back in the dark ages and we always had 'control' groups. It just seemed a bit odd to do it in this case because the AD sufferers won't know if they are better or not and it will be down to the carers to evaluate the results - and that might be down to subjective opinions in the long run.

I always remember one test we read about which was a caution about forming erroneous conclusions. There were 14 trainee psychologists who each were given a fly in a box and were told to command it to walk at hourly intervals. Each day they had to cut off one leg from the fly and record the effects. At the end of the test their conclusions were that 'if you cut all the legs off a fly, it becomes deaf'.

Cheers, Jude

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976