news article

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
I have also wondered about this. My understanding is that if you meet some laid down standards about how much care you need you perhaps should be in hopsital rather than a care home, however hospitals now only treat acute conditions and therefore if you need long term care you are in a home but your treatment/care should be funded by the NHS.

Therefore all expenses are covered including the living expenses.

Maybe our friends south of the Border can explain it a little better and tell me if I have grasped the right end of the stick.

I am curious is my Mum is self funding as was assessed in Scotland, when sheleft hopsital for the NH as needing Nursing Care.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I imagine that it is too late for mum but hopefully others will not be penalised in the future for care the NHS should provide.

Mameeskye

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I don't think it's as clear-cut as that. Certainly there's a huge problem getting continuing care in Scotland, but it's not easy in England either. There seem to be enough loopholes for PCTs to wriggle out of paying.

If you do a search on this forum for continuing care, you'll find lots of examples of people fighting for it.

I agree, it's iniquitous. Let's hope Nicola Sturgeon puts her money where her mouth is!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hollow laughter would be my response. Bear in mind that my mother died at the beginning of August aged 90. As of May, when they did the assessment ("they" being the NHS) she was considered to require medium band nursing which came to £8? a week. The findings were that she was stable (couldn't have been too stable, now could she?) At the time of the assessment she was moderately incontinent, could not walk, could barely see, and was on medication for depression, high blood pressure, atrial fibbrillation, seizures, allergies and pain killers for arthritis and a broken public bone. All that was consider medium band.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I would like to add, having read the article in full, that I find it ironic that they bought an English doctor to do the evaluation: unless it's a directive from a consultant, these evaluations are done by nurses in England.