News about the Talking Point App

Mark_W

Sep 28, 2015
London
As Nitam and Izzy have said if you go to the forum on your mobile and scroll down to the bottom you'll be able to select "Talking Point 2017: mobile" as your style in the bottom left corner of the screen.

If you're using a laptop Spamar, I'd recommend sticking with the standard style and then looking at if you browser can increase the text size for you. Most of them have an option to do this in their settings, in Chrome it's called Zoom. If you can tell us a bit more about your laptop and which browser you use I can take a look at the accessibility options it has for you.

We are also actively working on further improvements to the site's mobile style at the moment, more news on that when we have it.

Thanks

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Obviously too early in the morning. For laptop read iPad! I do have a laptop, but have never used it for this!

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
You're right, Saffie. Anyone with an iPad should be able to use the 'Talking Point 2017 standard' theme to view Talking Point.

Anyone with a smaller screen, should use the 'Talking Point 2017 mobile' theme as it's designed for smaller screens.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I'd recommend sticking with the standard style and then looking at if you browser can increase the text size for you."

I think the problem may be the screen width, depending on the model of iPad I think it can be as small as 5.3 inches.

All following applies to using Chrome 58.0.3029.110 on W10 1703/15063.352, YMMV

Just increasing the font size can mean that sideways scrolling is required to view messages as line breaks stay the same.

The above applies to TP standard 2017 style.

TP mobile 2017 is far cleverer, increasing the font size automagically changes the line breaks so that the whole width of the screen is filled whatever the font size.

Disadvantage with mobile style, apart from always going to start of thread (it does this on other vbulletin forums) is that there is no WYSIWYG editor (again not unique to TP) and any formatting has to be done manually with tags. Also there is no option to insert/attach images.

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I always prefer to use my iPad in landscape form for everything."

With only laptops/desktop to play with I don't really have a choice.

What about reading documents?

In the late 70s early 80s, ICL/Three Rivers were playing around with PERQ (Pascal Engine that Runs Quicker), the workstation had a high resolution (in those days!) A4 aspect ratio screen in portrait.
rosen.jpg

Not me in the image although I was involved!!

<Danger of diversion again?>

Last edited:

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
An interesting diversion, nitram. Technology has certainly come far. The first 'electronic social network' started in the early 70s and here were are in 2017 on Talking Point! :)

--

I'd recommend people using tablets to view Talking Point in landscape view where possible, so the threads and posts have an increased width.

Yes the mobile style/theme is more adaptable and is better suited for smaller screens, with fewer features so it's easier to use the site.

--

We are currently working to make things better for people using mobile phones and tablets and I hope to have more to say about this soon. :)

BeardyD

Jan 19, 2016
From what I remember the person in the PERQ picture could have been any of the male software developers at ICL in the 1970s.

A friend asked me if it was necessary to be 6'2" and have a beard and glasses to work there - I told him that a beard wasn't compulsory for the women.

BeardyD (Still with beard and glasses but slightly shrunk to 6'1")