Really very easy
1+1 = 0 (and carry 1)

<nowt much about the demise of the app but good for bumping!>

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Do you remember Cuisenaire Rods Saffie?

http://www.m-a.org.uk/resources/4D_Pritchard-Binary_Investigations.pdf

My head hurts! I much preferred teaching poetry or reading to the weans!

I remember them well Izzy! Much preferred those block things though - were they called Dienes?
When we moved southwards in 1980 and I did supply teaching in junior classes, they had sheets of bases hanging around the classroom. I had one of my daughter's boyfriends trying to teach me about bases but never really understood the need for any other than 10! Someone mentioned binary then!
All Greek to be! Would have preferred Greek actually as I loved Latin! Totally arts me, maths and science, apart from biology passed me by!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Still OT to the tread but could interest some people

Decimal is generally accepted, maybe because we have 10 fingers, any other base could be used. 12 would be better because it has more LCMs.

Binary is special, a digit is either present or not, without this concept computers would not exist.

However in computing, to enable larger numbers to be expressed, hexadecimal (base 16) is commonly used. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Hexadecimal.html

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Ooo, my head hurts now Nitram!"

Very sorry, take a couple of C[SUB]9[/SUB]H[SUB]8[/SUB]O[SUB]4[/SUB]

Or maybe that makes your headache worse!!

<SerenaS sorry for thread hijack >

polly148

May 18, 2017
Gonna miss my app

Sorry to see the app go, just as I was getting on to it, I hope viewing your page is as easy with out the app sad times xx

Primrose19

Nov 27, 2016
A shame the app is going, it has been very well behaved since the first announcement of its ending, I hoped it had been given a reprieve.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Thanks everyone for your comments. I see there's been some interesting discussions since I posted yesterday!

Polly - there's more information about our mobile site here

Primrose - unfortunately, the app has some critical technical issues for a number of members, including the ability to register an account and report content. We've not taken the decision lightly and hope to be bringing further improvements to Talking Point soon for people using smartphones and tablets.

--

I used the word 'phase out' deliberately. Removing the app from Android and then Apple won't happen at exactly the same moment, nor will disabling the function that links Talking Point to the apps. When all of that happens, login, posts, and forums should no longer work and communication between Talking Point and the app will cease.

The *only* aspect that should continue to work is the “Trending” tab because this information is cached on the local devices of each user. Because it has data in the cache it will create the illusion or “appear” to work and show some posts data etc. Peoples devices will soon drop this cached information too after a period but it's not possible to say exactly when.

The majority of this work should happen today, and we'll be in touch with further information.

Mark_W

Sep 28, 2015
London
And just to update what Serena's posted, the app has now been switched off so you should switch to using the mobile style on the main website as we explain here.

Please post if you've got any questions about that and we'll be happy to help.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Would it be helpful to email registered members to update them that the app is no more? I can think of quite a few who pop by occasionally and, if they find the app isn't functioning, might think it is a problem with their device or the TP site. I doubt many would think that the app had been withdrawn.

The instructions for version to use might be helpful in the email too.

Mark_W

Sep 28, 2015
London
Thanks Celia we've been communicating the news about the app closure to TP members in a number of ways and we're going to continue to work to update people. So we hope everyone who used the app will get the news in one way or another.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
In the mobile web version, it seems to go to start of thread when accessing via What's New. Am I missing some trick that will let you open a thread on the last post or last page of posts?

Thanks

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I am totally lost as the app is gone and I have to google search for main site? If there's no app for the mobile anymore than sadly it's goodbye from me as I don't want to use my laptop . I am very sad as I have made some really good friends and I will miss their friendship, advise and support. Sad day :(

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I am totally lost as the app is gone and I have to google search for main site? If there's no app for the mobile anymore than sadly it's goodbye from me as I don't want to use my laptop . I am very sad as I have made some really good friends and I will miss their friendship, advise and support. Sad day :(

Chick, that's very sad. Have your tried the mobile version of the website? I used it on my phone for the first time today and I found it really good. Apologies if you have already looked at it, if so please ignore me. Once you are on the main site go down to the very bottom of the page and you'll see the drop down menu. It has Talking Point 2017 Standard at the top. If you click on that you see the drop down menu showing Talking Point 2017 Mobile. If you select that you will be taken to the mobile version. You will always be on the mobile version once you've done that.

I do hope I'm not teaching granny to suck eggs! Just a thought in case you haven't tried the mobile version.

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
I can't find the link to the mobile version at all. Can I access it from my phone or do I have to go to the main PC? Thank you

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Does the mobile version work on laptop? Plus how do I increase type size? If I expand type with fingers, I lose one side, so I'm continually whizzing back and forth, which is a nuisance! I've looked through settings, but can't find anything relevant.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Does the mobile version work on laptop? "

Yes, just choose the mobile style at bottom left, to get back to normal style click 'full site ' at bottom of screen.

I don't see any point in using the mobile style on a laptop as it has greatly reduced functionality.

The rest of your post appears to be about touch screens, never having used one I can't help.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968