News about the Talking Point App

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Becoming somewhat of a vagrant thread.

However Post 6 by Saffie
"Edited to add that in the past we were able to add pictures from a store of those we had used on TP but that fell by the wayside a few years ago."

All is not lost, try:-
My profile|Settings|Miscellaneous|Attachments
Click on the jpg (or whatever) not the thread it is in.

Thank you, I will do this Nitram but honestly, it's not a big problem. It was just quicker to find a picture form this store which popped up - automatically I seem to remember - than to have to upload one from those on the computer/iPad etc. It was some years ago now and, as I said to Serena, not the purpose of this forum anyway!

P.M. Yes, they are all there and I seem to recall Jennifer saying similar some time ago but as we can't copy and paste into a post, they aren't readily accessible.

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...but as we can't copy and paste into a post, they aren't readily accessible."

You can right click|copy link address|paste into tree icon pop up|insert into post

This may need translating into Apple Language!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
"...but as we can't copy and paste into a post, they aren't readily accessible."

You can right click|copy link address|paste into tree icon pop up|insert into post

This may need translating into Apple Language!

Yes tried that and that works for our own photos.

Yes, it seems ok for those that were previously downloaded from the net too.
Not quite as simple on the iPad as it probably is on the computer but still better than before.
So thanks Nitram. No more attached images!

Last edited:

Primrose19

Nov 27, 2016
I shall miss the app even though it had some quirks. Shame you are discontinuing it, aren't there any other companies who could keep it going?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Figured out the site for mobile! I'm finding it more cumbersome than the App, but I guess needs must!
Is there any way of going to the last post on a thread? I'm finding that it insists on taking me to the first post on each thread, and I then have to scoot along to the last page.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Figured out the site for mobile! I'm finding it more cumbersome than the App, but I guess needs must!
Is there any way of going to the last post on a thread? I'm finding that it insists on taking me to the first post on each thread, and I then have to scoot along to the last page.

Underneath the name of the last poster on the right of the list of posts it says "Go to latest post". You click on it and you're there. Well it does on both my computer and iPad anyway.

Just looked at the mobile option at th bottom of the page and it that is what you are using , Lady A, try the standard option. It's the main site and is what I use on everything, including my phone and I used to use it with my iPod touch too before I had my iPad.

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Phew! That's better! I think my phone is too small for the standard version. I couldn't read posts, and when I was posting myself, it enlarged the page so I had to keep scrolling around to find things! Will persevere with the mobile version and hope for the best. I've jumped the gun and uninstalled the App! Although I really liked it, myself. But I can see that on a forum like this, consistency is vital. You just can't expect those members who are living with dementia to keep learning how to use new versions.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Sorry Serena, not been on here much today. The 'No matches found' I think only comes up when I first switch the iPad on in the morning though I could be mistaken. If I remember rightly, I just click the back arrow to Today's Posts and they come up... Neither is the picture insertion a problem really. Let's face it this forum is for help and support so the addition of the wording ' attached image' when we post a picture is hardly important! Thanks for all your hard work to make things better for us users though.

Thanks Saffie. I think you're seeing 'no matches found' because both Most Recent Posts and Today's Posts lead to search results. If you've been logged out for a while and hit one of those links it will bring up an invalid result. To fix it, you just go back or reload.

I shall miss the app even though it had some quirks. Shame you are discontinuing it, aren't there any other companies who could keep it going?

Sorry, Primrose. We're not able to continue with the app because of the technical issues, but we're continuing to work to improve Talking Point.

Phew! That's better! I think my phone is too small for the standard version. I couldn't read posts, and when I was posting myself, it enlarged the page so I had to keep scrolling around to find things! Will persevere with the mobile version and hope for the best. I've jumped the gun and uninstalled the App! Although I really liked it, myself. But I can see that on a forum like this, consistency is vital. You just can't expect those members who are living with dementia to keep learning how to use new versions.

Thanks for giving the mobile site a try, LadyA. You're right about consistency and the importance of making changes thoughtfully. We only make changes on Talking Point when we need to and ideally to improve the experience for our members. As I said, we are continuing to work to improve Talking Point, as we're primarily here to support you all.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
One thing I've found, when using the mobile version on the phone, is I can neither see nor post pics! I have to switch to the standard version, and then switch back again. Not a problem, usually, as I'm on the laptop a couple of times a day, at least. The phone is too small to use the full standard version on. I can't really see to read it.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Sorry to hear about your difficulty with images, LadyA. That could be due to the format that images are posted in and whether your device can display them. We're working on addressing this issue soon so hopefully we'll have a solution soon.

--

truth24, I'm sorry to hear that you've had some difficulties with the app. You should be able to use Talking Point on your Android devices by using an internet browser, like Chrome. No need to download anything. :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Sorry to hear about your difficulty with images, LadyA. That could be due to the format that images are posted in and whether your device can display them. We're working on addressing this issue soon so hopefully we'll have a solution soon.

--

truth24, I'm sorry to hear that you've had some difficulties with the app. You should be able to use Talking Point on your Android devices by using an internet browser, like Chrome. No need to download anything. :)
I've noticed a couple of other things with the Mobile 2017 style too, but I can't remember what they are - oh yes! One is that it doesn't go to the last post on a thread! It always goes to the beginning of a thread, and then you have to tap on the arrow at the side, to go to the last page, and then scroll down through all the posts on the last page to get to the last post! Not a huge problem, but it does slow me up a bit! :D

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Mine sometimes goes to where I've finished reading, but often to the beginning which is a nuisance.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Yes I'm aware of that issue - it's a problem in all mobile versions of the software we use unfortunately.

As I said before, we've got a list of all the issues members are having and are working on improvements to Talking Point. Watch this space. :)

AishaRebecca

Feb 13, 2015
Such a shame I love the app. As I don't often log on to a computer and use my mobile i also like the notifications of new posts

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"The app is great, I never use the computer"

As the app is being discontinued it might be an idea to try the mobile stylesheet using a browser on your phone.

This would give you a chance to sort out any problems in using it before the app vanishes.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Thanks for your comments, AishaRebecca and Nameless.

We're not able to continue with the app because of the technical issues that we're not able to resolve. We're continuing to work to improve Talking Point's main website.

You'll still be able to use the community -on a browser (Safari/Chrome etc). If it's easier, you can add https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk to your bookmarks. >How to bookmark a website<

If you're on a tablet, you may prefer to use the main style, and if on a mobile, it's best to use the mobile style. You can find out more about how to access the mobile style and main style here.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Aah, perhaps I am in a minority, but I have always preferred the main site. I did try the app on my mobile a few times but I didn't like it and reverted back to the main site with a sigh of relief.

It's a long time since I have posted and wanted to insert a photo, but I had hoped with the advent of the app that this would be much easier than it had previously been. I didn't find this to be the case and was among the reasons why I was more than happy to go back to the main site.

I still have difficulties trying to post photos, unless I use my laptop, but most of my photos are on my mobile, so, being lazy, I gave up trying to post any photos at all. You have been spared endless depictions of an errant collie, so every cloud....as they say. :)