News about the Talking Point App

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Oh dear! I keep being been asked to sign in every time I try to visit The forum lately, so I wonder if I'll even be able to access it at all after the changes...in which case, it's Goodbye:confused: everyone.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Celia and Saffie - could you send me a screenshot of the 'No Matches Found' issue and explain when it happens? It could be a technical issue that I can address.

Nitram - I'll make a note to check re images. And yes, I embed attachments using . vBulletin's multiple ways to upload images is one of its many 'quirks'.

Jinx, Bunpoots and mary - I'm sorry about this, and hope you find the main site and mobile site to be workable for now.

Rageddy Anne - Talking Point should only ever ask you for your username and password so providing you have those to hand you should be able to log in, and you can use 'remember me' to help with this. If you have any problems logging in, you can always contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll help. :)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Rageddy Anne

If you are using an old bookmark to get to the site it may be http not https, this can lead to confusion with cookies and whether are signed in or not.

If you are using a bookmark log out, which should clear cookies, and then try going directly to

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forum.php

you can cut and paste this address.

When signing in as Serena said tick 'remember me'

If that works replace the bookmark.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
I had already done what Nitram mentions and had created a new quick link and deleted the old so not sure if I can replicate it - will try later.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Talking Point mobile app

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you have been signed in on http with remember me active, close the browser and go to http again it automagically changes to https and asks you to sign in.

You are actually signed in and as soon as you do virtually anything it stops asking you to sign in.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I shall miss the app, even though it's not been working properly for me since the upgrade. My basic feeling is that computers do what the programmer writes, do why can't they fix it?
Like Anne, I always use the app on iPad. If I can't cope with main site, then I, too, may not be here again.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"My basic feeling is that computers do what the programmer writes, do why can't they fix it?"

If everybody used the same version of the same operating system installed on the same hardware it would be far easier to fix.

Even then with one company working all the time to developer the app and another working just as hard to develop the OS with either or both being keen on upgrade fees things would start to drift apart.

Everybody is becoming more and more reliant on flexibility and interchangeability and expecting things to just work. Installing a printer used to be a dreaded task when anything could be expected to go wrong, now you just connect the printer, the OS detects it, and if it hasn't got the drivers goes online and installs them and the hardware.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
As a result, we will be closing the app in the next couple of weeks. I wanted to give you all advance notice of this, and will leave the discussion below open, in case you have questions.

Thanks,
I use the main forum on a windows desktop and am more than happy. I have only ever used the app on an android tablet which was OK but prefer the main forum set up and not having to deal with "trending".

I have now created a bookmark on the tablet for the main site but it asked me if I wanted to download the app instead. Since it is being discontinued isn't that liable to confuse some?:confused:

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Spamar - I do hope you're able to get on with using Talking Point on a browser. Please do let us know if you have any questions and we'll do everything we can to help.

--

"My basic feeling is that computers do what the programmer writes, do why can't they fix it?"

If everybody used the same version of the same operating system installed on the same hardware it would be far easier to fix.

Even then with one company working all the time to developer the app and another working just as hard to develop the OS with either or both being keen on upgrade fees things would start to drift apart.

Everybody is becoming more and more reliant on flexibility and interchangeability and expecting things to just work. Installing a printer used to be a dreaded task when anything could be expected to go wrong, now you just connect the printer, the OS detects it, and if it hasn't got the drivers goes online and installs them and the hardware.

Thanks, nitram. That's a really helpful illustration.

Another one is to think of changing makes and models of cars and how very few things are 'one size fits all' except for car mats, fluffy dice and the like. If only I could update Talking Point and it would look and behave the same on all of your screens. Hopefully that will be something we can offer in the future. :)

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
I use the main forum on a windows desktop and am more than happy. I have only ever used the app on an android tablet which was OK but prefer the main forum set up and not having to deal with "trending".

I have now created a bookmark on the tablet for the main site but it asked me if I wanted to download the app instead. Since it is being discontinued isn't that liable to confuse some?:confused:

Thanks for your comment, Pete. The app provider (Tapatalk) will automatically recognise if someone is using a mobile or tablet device and offer them the chance to use the app. To change that setting would involve update the app (which incurs a cost and won't fix the technical issues) so in the remaining couple of weeks, we'll have to choose to ignore it for now.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...very few things are 'one size fits all' except for car mats..."

You must buy very similar cars!!

I agree on fluffy dice being transferable.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I've never used the full site on my phone, but I use the app a lot during the day! I tried the full version while the app was having issues before the last big update, and couldn't manage it. Would the mobile version of the full site use a lot of a (limited!) data allowance? I've no idea how fast data gets eaten up. Not the most technically minded person! :rolleyes:

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
I was just going to say that! :D

That'll teach me for trying to be funny. :D

--

LadyA, my gut instinct is that there wouldn't be a data issue as images would only be displayed in thumbnail or small sizes on small screens and in any case, you'd only be loading page on the browser to view them and not downloading them. The same applies to other sites you view online that have images and videos. EDITED TO ADD: The more you stream, the more data you'd use though. I'd advise shutting off auto-play of videos in social apps if you're on a limited data plan. We don't have auto-play on TP but apps like Facebook and Twitter do (as I recall).

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Becoming somewhat of a vagrant thread.

However Post 6 by Saffie
"Edited to add that in the past we were able to add pictures from a store of those we had used on TP but that fell by the wayside a few years ago."

All is not lost, try:-
My profile|Settings|Miscellaneous|Attachments
Click on the jpg (or whatever) not the thread it is in.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Celia and Saffie - could you send me a screenshot of the 'No Matches Found' issue and explain when it happens? It could be a technical issue that I can address.

Nitram - I'll make a note to check re images. And yes, I embed attachments using . vBulletin's multiple ways to upload images is one of its many 'quirks'.

Jinx, Bunpoots and mary - I'm sorry about this, and hope you find the main site and mobile site to be workable for now.

Rageddy Anne - Talking Point should only ever ask you for your username and password so providing you have those to hand you should be able to log in, and you can use 'remember me' to help with this. If you have any problems logging in, you can always contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll help. :)

Sorry Serena, not been on here much today. The 'No matches found' I think only comes up when I first switch the iPad on in the morning though I could be mistaken. If I remember rightly, I just click the back arrow to Today's Posts and they come up. To be honest whatever I do is automatic now and really isn't a problem at all. I only mentioned it as Celia had done so and to say it is easily overcome.

Neither is the picture insertion a problem really. Let's face it this forum is for help and support so the addition of the wording ' attached image' when we post a picture is hardly important! Thanks for all your hard work to make things better for us users though.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I shall miss the app, even though it's not been working properly for me since the upgrade. My basic feeling is that computers do what the programmer writes, do why can't they fix it?
Like Anne, I always use the app on iPad. If I can't cope with main site, then I, too, may not be here again.

I don't understand as the site on my iPad looks exactly the same as it does on my computer.
Like Pete I didn't like the app and found the 'trending' annoying.

Last edited: