News about the Talking Point App

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Please read this if you use the Talking Point App

Hi everyone,

A couple of years ago, we introduced an app to make it easier to use Talking Point on mobile phones and tablets.

You may have downloaded our app from the iTunes store if you have an Apple device or Play Store if you have an Android device.

Unfortunately, it won't be possible for us to continue to offer the app, as there are a number of technical problems that we are unable to resolve and as the app is provided by another company, we're not able to fix them directly. It is also becoming increasingly difficult to maintain, on top of running this service for you all, and keeping the service running is always our top priority.

We are continuing to work to improve Talking Point's main website and hope to continue to make this easier to use for everyone.

UPDATED: As a result, we have now closed the app. I will leave the discussion below open, in case you have questions.

Thanks,

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
What a shame. The main problem with the website is it doesnt appear to be responsive and adapt to the device you are using - page size, word wrap etc on a mobile for example. Is there any plan to change that before discontinuing the app?

I do appreciate that you have to rationalise what your resources are used for but, with more people accessing sites on mobile devices, it is increasingly important to have a responsive side.

I am typing this on my phone and on looking at the main site I couldn't find a setting that would improve use on a mobile but maybe I have missed it?

Please note this is meant to be helpful not critical!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Talking Point mobile app

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Have not got any mobile devices so can't try things out.

When on a mobile what setting have you got at bottom left?

<Wish I could insert image from system not just attach.>

Probably a good move, if you don't have the required technical backup KISS.

Attachments

• 2017-04-04_163957.jpg
    2017-04-04_163957.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,089

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
What a shame. The main problem with the website is it doesnt appear to be responsive and adapt to the device you are using - page size, word wrap etc on a mobile for example. Is there any plan to change that before discontinuing the app?

I do appreciate that you have to rationalise what your resources are used for but, with more people accessing sites on mobile devices, it is increasingly important to have a responsive side.

I am typing this on my phone and on looking at the main site I couldn't find a setting that would improve use on a mobile but maybe I have missed it?

Please note this is meant to be helpful not critical!

Hi Celia,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond and for sharing your thoughts.

I agree that the current site doesn't offer the best experience for members who are using tablets and mobile phones which is part of the reason why we introduced the mobile design last Summer. The software we use was originally built before smartphones existed!

Accessing the mobile design can be done by scrolling to the bottom of the page and using the Style Chooser to select 'Talking Point 2017 mobile' :

mobilee.png

When in the mobile design, going back to the desktop design involves going to the bottom of the screen and tapping where you see 'Full Site':

desktop style.png

Yes, we are actively working to deliver a much better experience for people who use mobile phones and tablets to use Talking Point.

Serena

PS - I cross posted with you nitram. Thanks for pointing out the Style Chooser!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thanks Serena. I've never really used the mobile site before. I'm on it now on my iPad and I like it! I'll try it on my phone.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Thank you Serena - I had tried that previously and it comes up with 'Sorry no matches found' and the link to go back to the full site.

I have now clicked on the hamburger at the top of the page which does take me to a mobile site version. Not sure why that first message comes up though.

Thanks for a speedy reply.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It might be worth checking that when use of the app is discontinued images uploaded to https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com are retained on their server.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170405/64075ec866cb6ed103387aec6769d6c4.jpg in post
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?78836-Positives-)&p=1397891&viewfull=1#post1397891 is one such image.

They most likely will be but worth getting confirmation.

It's just possible that images are associated with an account and when that account is pulled the images go with it.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I have never really got on with the app and prefer to use the main site via Safari on my iPad. I also get the 'no matches found' but I just ignore it and go to Today's Posts when everything is as normal. I used the main site in my android phone too with no real problems.
I don't understand about insertions as I always use the paperclip to add pictures.
Is that why we get 'attached images' on the pictures?
Edited to add that in the past we were able to add pictures from a store of those we had used on TP but that fell by the wayside a few years ago.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Using the paperclip allows you to browse to an image stored on your system, the images always attached at the end of the post, they cannot be inserted in the text.

You can also use the icon of a tree - looks like a square with dots in the corners - when you click on this you enter the URL of an image stored online, in this case the image is always inserted. With PMs this is all you can do, there is no paperclip.

Some sites powered by vBulletin allow the choice of insert or attach on both paperclip and tree icon.

I think the 'attached images' only occurs when using the mobile style.

The private store of images probably went when the app was introduced because this meant that not all images were held on the AS server.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Using the paperclip allows you to browse to an image stored on your system, the images always attached at the end of the post, they cannot be inserted in the text.

You can also use the icon of a tree - looks like a square with dots in the corners - when you click on this you enter the URL of an image stored online, in this case the image is always inserted. With PMs this is all you can do, there is no paperclip.

Some sites powered by vForum allow the choice of insert or attach on both paperclip and tree icon.

I think the 'attached images' only occurs when using the mobile style.

The private store of images probably went when the app was introduced because this meant that not all images were held on the AS server.

No, the 'attached image' occurs anyway, even when I use the computer. It started to appear when the site was 'improved' as did the disappearance of the store of accessible pictures on the TP site rather than having to insert from library.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"No, the 'attached image' occurs anyway, even when I use the computer."

My mistake it also appears on TP2017 style.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

Attachments

• 2017-04-05_121755.jpg
    2017-04-05_121755.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 955

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Just been looking at other sites using vBulletin.

Several don't use the paperclip at all, they only use the tree image to insert, inserting at the end is equivalent to attaching, the 'attached image' statement never appears.

Clicking on 'insert image' gives a choice of source

Attachments

• 2017-04-05_125655.jpg
    2017-04-05_125655.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 909

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
That's interesting Nitram and I will investigate your links.
I have to say I do think the 'attached images' on pictures does rather spoil whole effect.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
All going a bit OT.

If interested I can give you a tutorial on a new thread or by PM on how to insert an image that is held on your system

2017-04-05_133535.jpg

There you are, screen grab off my computer, inserted in body of text, with no 'attached images' statement.

Just takes a bit longer than clicking 'insert image' and pointing to the file on your computer.

Last edited:

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
I use the app all the time and I will miss it, but appreciate the problems and will switch to the main site.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point