newly qualified occupational therapist wanting the real truth!!

amysimpson

Mar 25, 2008
A warm welcome to everyone,
I hope you all welcome me here to this forum. I have signed on to this sight becuase im sure there is a lot of great things that people have experienced through NHS care and a lot of things that can be improved. As a new professional, i am wanting to know where previous healthcare professionals have gone wrong to help me become a better practitioner. Any advice you can all give me to help me help others would be greatly achieved,
thanks so much for your time of reading this

amy simpson

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Amy,
Welcome to Talking Point.
The real truth that is what you will find here and by reading personel posting you will find the truth.
I wish you the best with your professional and hearing the truth from Talking Point members, who will come on line in due course.
Best wishes
Christine

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It's rather an open-ended question to be honest. One thing I will say: remember that our time is as valuable as yours. Don't say you'll call and then fail to; don't say that you'll do something and then not do it. I have spent far too much time waiting for "professionals" to return phone-calls, or even turn up. Don't forget - in the final analysis we are your employers. I'm not expecting you to move mountains: if you can't fix something say so, but don't pretend you can when you can't.

Phew - I didn't know I had that all stored up. :D

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Jennifer
Thank you for letting go of all that.
You took the very words out of my mouth.
Alot of our time is spent waiting for calls that never come and the sense of frustration you get is enough to make you ill.
So Amy all I can add to Jennifer`s post is to listen to the people you are dealing with and remember that they need a lot of support and not let downs.
All the best Roseann

Short girl

Mar 22, 2008
Good communication and multi-disciplinery working is a positive step - the Single Assessment Process. The public like to see that we do all talk to each other. PS I work in social care.

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Jenniferpa said what I spontaneously thought. Sometimes it's not the big things. We live every day with little things that make a big difference. How much difference it would make in so many ways to be punctual and reliable. My first experience with Social Services was the social worker clearly saying "I will ring you tomorrow". I organised my day around this and the call never came. Now the big thing to me about this was me thinking "if I can't rely on you for the little things, what chance have I about the big things?". How much effort would it take to make a phone call? I forgot to mention that she was late by 25 minutes to her first appointment with me.

I am a busy practitioner myself and I am always punctual and reliable and I really believe this is a very strong premise on which to build.

The one thing about it for me is that you can achieve these goals if you want to - they are not the difficult things that might be out of your control.

Very best wishes and welcome to TP

Helen

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
dear Helen.I have only praise for the O.T in my area.i sent an email about my concerns for mum and dad and their inabilities within their home.Within a week we had an O.T visit to do an assessmnet of heir needs,The week after adaptions to their home to enable them to stay in their home,were completed.And may i add that such compassion was shown with dad(sadly now deceased).I can only thank your profession.elainex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfisch