newly diagnosed

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
I would say tell people from my mil experience she is in denial and has lost friends because she can't keep appointments or she forgets to meet them.
You will not be alone if you tell people your situation it may not be dementia it could be other things such as stress.
I'm sure you have some close friends who'll keep an eye out for you. If you feel truely alone how about calling the admiral team or joining a club.
Social services are also very helpful.

vonvonvon

Mar 1, 2015
Hello, I don't have a diagnosis yet but I didn't do too well in my memory test today at the GP. I suppose I was expecting to be told it was just stress, but the doctor was concerned and I'm to have more tests soon. I'm only 43. It takes me most of the day to do the simplest tasks, and I keep getting lost and I've given up on doing most things. My teenage daughters are so exasperated because I forget everything. Today, after the appointment and making some lunch, i sat down to rest for a while and hours later when I went back in the kitchen I realised I'd left the gas on yet again. It's my children I'm most worried about if I do get a diagnosis. I can't tell them, as they are only 16 and 18 and I don't want them to feel they have to be my carer. I am on my own and I haven't got family or friends to turn to, and so it's this that worries me most. The thing I am most struck by when I read this thread, is that people have someone to care for them.

If this is diagnosed, what advice do you give to someone on their own? And I'm very struck by the things I've read; thankyou all so much.

Hi Roses
I'm on my own, my only daughter lives hour & half away. If it is a confirmed diagnosis I would say to make sure you get back up from somewhere, my memory clinic offers a memory nurse ( I am currently waiting a referral to him/her).
I wasn't offered any sort of support after the first diagnosis & am currently finding life quite tough.
it seems to be the same old story, support is there but you may have to ask for it, push for it even.
check online for Admiral nurses in your area, I understand they are good
Take care

Yasmine

Apr 9, 2015
Happy to hear you're having better times. Having a good laugh and letting yourself be human is essential. Make the most of it!

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
wasnt feeling the best anyway, have stopped work and trying to claim some money now, job centre sent me a letter told me to fill in the enclosed medical questionaire, well there wasn't 1 enclosed! I had to ring their office and she said she couldn't understand what I was saying and kept raising her voice to me like I was some kind of idiot! I didn't understand what she was saying either, but I didn't shout! asked her if she could be a little patient with me as I had dementia, her reply was "she couldnt help that" but she could, she could have treated me with a little compassion.... came of the phone and cried again: :(

still really dont know how to post on here I expect all my posts are in wrong place I know im stupid!

You need to complain about that. I used to work at a job centre some years ago and I'm appalled to read this. The fact that she was the one who answered your call means she should be used to dealing with people who have a variety of conditions and should have had training to do this. I know complaining about things when you are already reeling from your diagnosis is not an appealing prospect but I would urge you to do this. Write to the manager of the job centre, even if you can't remember the person's name they should be able to identify who you spoke to using the time and date.

God the more I think about your post the angrier I am getting. And bless you Seagull you are posting just fine and are coming across as anything but stupid.

Where is this job centre? I'm going down there! Fetch me my angry trousers!!! :mad: