Newly diagnosed

Flossie1

Aug 31, 2006
My mother has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and although it was no great shock ( my grandmother had it and I recognised the signs), I suddenly find that I am devastated by the news. My father is her main carer, and although I live quite close, I have 2 small children, and find it difficult juggling all. I am also in the process of emmigrating - bad timing - but want to make sure my father has all the support in place before I go. But where do I start??
Would love some tips!!

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Flossie,
So sorry about your mum; even when we know that there is something wrong, having it confirmed still hurts.
Support? Well it partly depends where your mum and dad are at.
The CPN could be involved, this is often organised through the GP.
Social Services can do assessment to see if your parents require any help at present.
Is there a local Alzheimers Society that your parents could become involved with? They may have Visitors, or monthly meetings?
Even if these aren't required at the moment, it may be worth making contact, or at least having a list of addresses and phone numbers ready, for dad to contact when he needs to.
Don't forget, TP is international, so even when you emigrate, we will still be here.
So welcome to our community.
Love Helen

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Flossie

Establish links with the CPN and Social Services, if they are aware of the situation they will keep an eye on your mum and most importantly your dad. Do not feel bad about emmigrating for in her more lucid moments your mum would only what is best for you and I am sure that your dad feels the same.

Please keep in touch and let us know how your great adventure is going.

Hugs

Dick

Flossie1

Aug 31, 2006
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the advise, but am I being really thick!!!!? What is CPN? I feel that I ought to know!!!
As for social services, I think that would be a big no at the moment, but only because my mother doesn't even want me or my brother to know, so as far as she is concerned, we haven't a clue!! Makes life very difficult.
At the moment my father can just about manage - my mother doesnt drive anymore, but it's more like things like the housework - she used to be so houseproud and busy - and now just sits around watching telly or aimlessly wandering from room to room.
They are also both in their 70's, so not as agile anyway!
I suppose I find it so difficult to see someone so strong and proud end up like this, not my mum anymore!
Had a moan now!!! Thanks:)

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya,
CPN Community psychiatric nurse - part of mental health team - can be a useful link to the Gp and eventually social services.
Helen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhubarb1989