Newly diagnosed early onset alzheimers alcohol

Angibec

Aug 30, 2016
Hi everyone. I’m wondering if anyone had had any experience with this. My husband (we live together but separated) was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s a month ago after 4 years of tests. He’s now 59. He has drank heavily every weekend since he was in his teens, cut it out for a while for a couple of years while getting tested but has started again maybe having three quarters to a bottle of red wine a night. I’ve told him this this is not the way to go especially with his diagnosis but he doesn’t want to stop and says it’s not doing any harm as his body it used to it. Has anyone had any experience with their partners with regards to a large alcohol consumption and if so how has it affected their Alzheimer’s/dementia in the longer term. Many thanks ?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Alcohol is not good in dementia and has often been discussed on the forum so a search may throw up some old threads for you. Alcohol substitutes, watering drinks etc have been tried by many members.

My wife went through a phase where she was drinking too much and her dementia was always a nightmare when she was drunk. We are through that phase now, thank goodness, although the dementia itself has, of course, progressed.

There is a Factsheet that deals with alcohol caused dementia and that may be of interest to you. Just click the 2nd line of the following link if you want to have a head
What is alcohol-related brain damage? (438)
PDF printable version

I wish you luck.

Angibec

Aug 30, 2016
Alcohol is not good in dementia and has often been discussed on the forum so a search may throw up some old threads for you. Alcohol substitutes, watering drinks etc have been tried by many members.

My wife went through a phase where she was drinking too much and her dementia was always a nightmare when she was drunk. We are through that phase now, thank goodness, although the dementia itself has, of course, progressed.

There is a Factsheet that deals with alcohol caused dementia and that may be of interest to you. Just click the 2nd line of the following link if you want to have a head
What is alcohol-related brain damage? (438)
PDF printable version

I wish you luck.
Thank you for your reply. I have noticed that he has Been quite bad with his memory more than usual recently and thought that might be the reason. Thank you for the link, I’ll take a look.

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
Hello @Angibec. My husband has also been a heavy drinker for most of his life, although not an alcoholic. Because of that, I had hoped that his diagnosis would be alcohol related dementia, because that is reversible, unlike Alzheimer's. However, he was unfortunately diagnosed with Alzheimer's 2 years ago at the age of 69. He too would not give up or cut down and we definitely notice an increase in his memory and confusion when he has had a few beers. One big advantage to the lockdown is that he has cut down to a more reasonable amount these last few weeks and he definitely has been much better for it. His Alzheimer's will still progress but does not seem to have hastened due to alcohol.

Angibec

Aug 30, 2016
Hello @Angibec. My husband has also been a heavy drinker for most of his life, although not an alcoholic. Because of that, I had hoped that his diagnosis would be alcohol related dementia, because that is reversible, unlike Alzheimer's. However, he was unfortunately diagnosed with Alzheimer's 2 years ago at the age of 69. He too would not give up or cut down and we definitely notice an increase in his memory and confusion when he has had a few beers. One big advantage to the lockdown is that he has cut down to a more reasonable amount these last few weeks and he definitely has been much better for it. His Alzheimer's will still progress but does not seem to have hastened due to alcohol.
Hi. Thank you for your reply. I know that when he drinks a lot his memory is really bad the next day and settling him after drinking takes longer. Since lockdown he hasn’t been to the local with his friend for a few pints and just drinks in the house. As mentioned before this is something he has done all his life so he’s not going to stop unless one day he forgets he had a problem with drink. I like a glass of wine but maybe once or twice a week and only with my tea. So I don’t encourage him, it’s never been something I’ve been interested in. Anyway, thanks again for your reply. ?

UncleZen

Dec 24, 2019
It's like night and day when my wife (pwd) drinks. Fortunately she now seems to be listening to me and is drinking alchohol free beer these days. I'm a bit surprised that sometimes I find that a 'bit too much' red wine has gone into the spag bol. But generally shes behaving.