Newby

Shaz yng

Jul 8, 2020
Hi mum was diagnosed with dementia in May.its taken me 2 yrs to get diagnoses.
Up and down doctors all the time?.feel very sad at the moment. Mum lives alone.go to see her most days.some days its hard to have a conversation its like she has switched off I know it's gunna get worse.i have great family but feel alone sometimes. Anybody feel the same

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to the forum @Shaz yng. You are among friends here who know how you feel. My partner has vascular dementia and some days she is lively, but it feels like she is on a different planet. I know its the confabulations and confusion that do it, but trying to have a conversation can be hard. The sleepy days are just as hard. Anyway, I won't moan, but just to let you know you have support and empathy. Read a few threads, though don't fret too much about your mum going down the same road as the worst cases, it does affect everyone differently, and keep posting.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @Shaz yng and welcome to the forum.

You’re in good company here! I’m glad you’ve found the forum and I know you will find it a supportive and safe place to share how you feel as well as a place to ask questions.

Keep posting!

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello from me too @Shaz yng . My mum has vascular dementia. I looked after her in her own home for a couple of years after Dad died and finally moved her into a care home after a stroke, after which she really needed 24 hour support (although she doesn't think so!). She was only officially diagnosed after the stroke. I felt very alone when I was looking after mum. I'm glad you have a supportive family but it's not always easy to talk about dementia and how you are feeling. There is lots of experience and advice for you here and nobody will judge you.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi mum was diagnosed with dementia in May.its taken me 2 yrs to get diagnoses.
Up and down doctors all the time?.feel very sad at the moment. Mum lives alone.go to see her most days.some days its hard to have a conversation its like she has switched off I know it's gunna get worse.i have great family but feel alone sometimes. Anybody feel the same

Hi @Shaz yng Sorry to hear this and it's understandable that you will be feeling down. I have no advice except make sure that your other family members are involved as often they start out with helpful ideas and then fade into the background very quickly. Make sure that you are not left alone with it because you could find yourself slowly overwhelmed. I hope that this does not happen but it has been the experience of many on here.

Get all the help you can as soon as you can and keep posting on here as there are many members who will listen even if you just want to ask advice or just have a good old rant. It helped me immensely by coming on here.