Newbie - mum makes odd sounds

Fantagirl

Oct 9, 2017
Hi,
I'm new to this. Mum diagnosed in April officially but we saw changes a few years leading up to diagnosis .
She has altzieimers and it's early stage. She's 74. I can have conversations with her however when there are pauses of silence she makes makes noises. If anyone has watched Little Britain it's like the sketch they did in the mental health hospital with a character called Anne. She doesn't speak. She makes noises like 'uh-uh-uh' . My mum makes these sounds. She has never seen this 'comedy programme' so I was wondering why people with dementia might make these noises ? Is it because of the silence and they deal with it by making noises? My mum can articulate herself at present but stumbles with names/places/dates. When she reads she reads out loud. She is quite a chatty and vocal lady. I'm just getting really upset thinking that she might stop talking. Can anyone relate to this ? Thank you xxx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Sometimes vocalisation like you have described (also sometimes humming) can be a sort of "self soothing" mechanism when they are anxious.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My dad sings a little tune every time he stands up or walks out of the room or does anything that involves movement. It's a little Bom de bom bom bom or Dee de de de dee sound. I think he has always done this on occasions but now it is all the time. I don't mind it as it is quiet a jolly tune. He also plays a tune with the spoon on a cup when he has finished making a cup of tea. That drives me nuts.

He twiddles his thumb constantly, he can twiddle it for a very long time (hours in fact if we are watching TV) and I find that rather annoying. I know he obviously can't help it but it does bother me and some times he kind of claps his fingers together hard and slowly which really bothers me. I know it shouldn't annoy me but it does, I suppose it is a sign that he is getting worse and may be that is why.

Strange little behaviours, just have to smile through them but it is hard.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello fantagirl welcome to TP, making repeated noises is very common with Alzheimers, my husband is in a CH, one lady constantly repeats TTTTTTT or Go go go go its when they start to lose their ability to speak. some repeat a sentence over and over again, my husband still talks, but nothing makes any sense, the brain just ceases up.

Fantagirl

Oct 9, 2017
Thank you all for your support. Its so helpful to hear others experiences on this forum. Absolutely invaluable. Xxx

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
Hopefully my Dad will get a diagnosis either way this Friday. We have noticed changes in the way he speaks such as lengthening vowel sounds like sooooooooo and he uses the word ‘however’ excessively. He never used to. One of the less irritating and worrying behaviours but still noticeable.
My Fil has LBD and he leaves quite long gaps in the conversation after you have spoken. It must be while his brain processes an answer.

LilyJ

Apr 13, 2017
Our PWD used to make a throaty sort of eh, eh, eh but it passed and she still has speech. As I've posted here before, she now has the most irritating habit of making a noise which sounds just like crunching Polo mints. It's amazing because we can't work out how she does it, There's virtually no movement of her jaw!! I have to use earphones when she starts up.