Newbie, incontinence.

Purplesue30

Nov 15, 2018
Hi everyone I am new to the group. My dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and vascular dementia early to moderate they said 5 months ago, he has started wetting himself A lot now, mam is his main carer, she has been buying him disposable nappie pants as the ones she got from the hospital that you put in the washer arnt any good for him. My first question is, does anyone got the disposable ones on perscription, and also I have been told that kylie bed mats are the best, I have been looking at them, they still sleep together in a double bed, should I get a double one. X

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @Purplesue30 and welcome to the Forum.

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties your dad is facing just now. If you haven't already done so you should ask the GP for a referral to the continence clinic or continence nurse - whichever they have access to. They will assess your dad's needs and you should then get an allowance of products for him. I'm not sure what he'll get as I think every area is different. I got packets from our continence service for my husband. They were delivered directly to our door every month. Often I bought extras as what we got never seemed enough. I did have some problems with the service but basically they were OK.

Kylie sheets are really good but I doubt if you will get these from the continence service. I bought mine online. To begin with we slept in a double bed but I only had a single kylie sheet which I put on the bed lengthwise. Eventually I had to move to single beds then in the end a hospital bed for my husband so I only ever bought single Kylies.

You might find this link helpful - https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/daily-living/continence-aids-professional-support

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
You can buy single Kylie sheets and use them length wise tucking the Wings under the pillow and down to the foot. The incontinence clinic should supply him with suitable products free of charge but your mother must ask her GP to be referred. They will want to meet him to assess his needs. Does your Dad receive Attendance Allowance as that helps with the costs of those products that you have to buy.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to TP, Purplesue 30. Marion and Izzy already much as I was going to. I tend to use two kylie sheets with one doubled over to tuck half of it in, and add a disposable sheet underneath just for insurance. The incontinence service did ask my OH to do pelvic floor exercises before they would assess her further for pull up pads until I pointed out she had dementia and her mobility is not great, so you may have to be persistent with them.
Good luck.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Hi my mother has 4 pads a day provided by the continence team,which visited us after GP referral,Gp will prescribe wash products to keep skin in good condition my mum has Proshield foam and spray,good for the skin and removes odours too,barrier creams will also be provided on prescription,mum uses kylie sheets/inco sheets which differ in quality I buy good ones from Ebay for £24 per 100 for 60cm x 90cm if you type in Readi on Ebay you will find them they are made by Robinsons healthcare and are good.
I don't have any experience of the re useable kylie pads,you do see them on Amazon if you read the reviews that would help and then you could compare to see if anyone else sells the same product on the net to compare prices.
The barrier creams that we have are called Medi Derma or Cavilon,as I said your GP should be happy to prescribe those and get them on a repeat

Last edited:

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi

My wife gets enough pull-ups for 4 a day (though I had to battle for these as initially, the NHS incontience team insisted they only provided pads).

On the (double) bed, I use a waterproof mattress protector plus a kylie-type bed pad (approx 88x85cm) just on her side. This I had to buy but shopping around, I found some which are much cheaper than the Kylie ones and for our needs. They seem very effective.

A lot depends on whether they tolerate wearing pull-ups and how much they fidget in bed etc.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'd also recommend a waterproof mattress protector and a kylie sheet. Can't remember what the kylie cost but I bought a waterproof mattress protector from Dunelm Mill last month: £20 for a double. Lightweight and easy to put on - like fitted sheet - and to wash in a domestic washing machine.

I forgot about that! So important to have the waterproof mattress protector!