Newbie here with early onset Alzheimer's Disease

Daryl2510

My Mam, stepdad and the social services

some tablets have been taken by either my Mam or stepdad...

...so I have had to go racing up to their flat in case Mac had to go into hospital and my stepsister went straight to hospital to meet her dad.

I was told by district nurse that if I didn't agree to my Mam going to Kings Mill Hospital with my stepfather, then the Social Services wouldn't put my Mam into respite care!...

They are supposed to be responsible and looking after them both since my stepsister and I told them we couldn't cope anymore with the situation - but the social worker said they have both been fine - until tonight, and guess who's had to do all the running around - yes my stepsister and I why they are pen pushing behind their desks!

I shouldn't have to be putting up with this!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read about your friend. How terribly sad.

You surely should not be putting up with the responsibility of caring for your mam and step dad. Please contact the social services again and tell them you cannot do it. I hope they realise after this incident that these are vulnerable people. I hope everything is ok.

Daryl2510

I'm in my new bungalow...

...hopefully the final move in my life, after living there for 26 years!

Full of different emotions Saturday morning, I was up at 4:30am finishing off cleaning up the old flat, and at 9am I was in my new bungalow.

I feel at home already...

...as you can see, it is like home there too now with my own finishing touches! :)

Attachments

• BungalHome [12-10-2013].png
    BungalHome [12-10-2013].png
    39.8 KB · Views: 687

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Daryl,

Your new home looks wonderful. No wonder you feel at home in it already. You have done a great job. I hope you have many happy years there.

Fiona

Daryl2510

Living room finished…

…all done on my own, over a couple of days. :)

I am just going to potter doing each room, and I don't really care how long it takes, at least it is my own efforts doing it - I just hope I remember where I have put everything! :eek: (don't worry I've labeled each item and bag :))

Attachments

• Living Room [ping] copy.jpg
    Living Room [ping] copy.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 747

Daryl2510

some good news...

My social worker assigned me someone from a support service the social services do, and her name is Claire... she is my key support worker.

Since she started with me in September, just before I moved to my new bungalow, she told me my benefits were wrong, and she put in for more help with care for DLA, as I wasn't getting it - I got a letter from them saying that I have now been awarded High Rate Care and low Rate Mobility - result, as I had only been receiving mobility component.

My social worker and Claire have also arranged for me to get 'meals on wheels' everyday now, and also a telephone call service, that contacts me four times a day, every day, to prompt me to take my medications - as I do tend to forget too... I also have lost quite a bit of weight, because I have been 'forgetting' to cook myself something because, in to be honest, I feel it is a waste of time - plus I always ended up burning it! ;)

Those services have, for the foreseeable future anyway, prevented me needing a carer coming and being arranged, so that is all for the good for the time being.

Merry Christmas everyone, and a peaceful and happy New Year 2014!! :) :)

wimbledon7

May 27, 2007
england
Hi, my wife has had Lewy body dementia since she was 51 and she is 58 now. She is wheelchair bound now and has Parkinson's. I used to work for the DWP. If you ask for a Disabled Employment adviser they should be able to help you with advice. The Government I'm afraid just thinks everyone is on the swing and they do like to scapegoat people. All the best

Daryl2510

Easter 2014 update

Just to let you know that I am now on my ½ year since moving into my new bungalow, which I've affectionly named 'BungalHome'!

I have also had my social worker approve for me a support worker to give me 6 hours per week to help me with my finances, shopping, home needs and any appointments that arise - this has been a tremendous help.

As I've mentioned previously my mother was put into full time care in January as her late stage journey of Alzheimer's progresses, and since they were parted my stepfather's health has deteriorated so badly, both physically and with his dementia too, that their social worker allowed him to join my mother into full time care to at the beginning of this month... so eventually, after all that fighting to try and get them safe, and together - it has paid off!

Beurocratic Red Tape eh?! ;)

Daryl2510

My England... it isn't just football!

My England…

…it isn’t just football. It is a knowledge that I belong to a country, that for its size and vulnerability, has stood unconquered for nearly 1,000 years. It is about a heritage of pride, passion, invention and learning.

We have a sense of ‘fair play’ – and we don’t all have a stiff upper lip, despite the portrayal of such… we have emotions, and in recent times we have shown them.

In good times and bad, we have always rallied together to overcome the odds, to beat the odds and to even the odds – we have a military that we can rely on, trust and know we will always be safe with. Our Royal Family, particularly our Queen, is the most famous and respected royal family in the whole world.

Our care for each other, especially to family, friends and neighbours, despite many stories that seem to contradict it, is renown – but never really ‘talked about’.

All this is MY England… it isn’t just football! ;)

Daryl2510

A little break...

Hi all...

...I am going away to the east coast for a couple of days on Thursday (7th August) until the Saturday, as my nephew and his family are down there staying in a caravan.

I've done a travel itinerary for me to get there and back, with times for connections for each service that I need, giving me plenty of time to get from one station to the other.

I'm doing the 'bus pass' run ( it'll save a load of cash ;) ) but catching a train for just part of the journey there and back, to save a lot of waiting time.

I haven't been away to the seaside since my Mam and stepdad lived there 4 years ago now, and even then it wasn't a break because I had to go down there and care for them, so hardly ever got to go out and see the sea and entertainments at all!

I'm looking forward to this! :)