Newbie here with early onset Alzheimer's Disease

Daryl2510

Christmas wishes

Merry Christmas to all here at the Alzheimer's forums...

...I am not religious in any way, shape or form - but I do believe in love of family and friends - and this time of year makes those occasions much more meaningful, without having to involve the technicalities of belief. :)

Enjoy the holidays as much as you all can with what we all have to endure in this illness - I know I am going to do! :)

Take care all xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
peace_dove.gif
Thank you and Merry Christmas to you. :)

Last edited:

Daryl2510

Gerry Anderson

My deepest sympathies go to the family of the late Gerry Anderson… Thunderbirds creator, and many others from my time as a nipper - absolutely ace programmes!

Alzheimer's Disease has no barriers, no borders and no distinction from any background - a cruel illness that sees people with intelligence (like my mum) gradually brought down to that of the behaviour of a young child - or even worse.

I look at my mum and see a mirror of what is going to become of me - and sometimes it isn't a pleasant site... I can empathise with Mr Anderson's family.

Be at peace.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Happy New Year to you and your family too, Daryl.

I hope 2013 is a healthy one for you Daryl and this dreaded disease stays at bay for as long as possible.

Fiona
x

Daryl2510

Online Parliament Petition for Alzheimer's

Following a survey by the Alzheimer's Team on Facebook, I filled in the survey they petitioned for your local MP to go to Parliament on 10 January about the Dementia Debate that took place.

I have received a letter today, personally from the House of Commons from my local MP for Ashfield, Gloria De Piero, in which she thanked me for the letter, and also a copy of the letter she received from Danny Alexander, Chief Secretary to the Treasury, about funding from the Coalition government.

She wrote to him personally after receiving the online petition from me, and others hopefully, and said that my case fascinated her, and would pursue it through the Commons with support, and also asked if that if there was anything personally she could get involved with for me, not to hesitate to ask!

I thought that was nice. The copy of the letter she received from the Chief Secretary to the Treasury was just basically the Prime Minister's promise to support dementia in the speech he gave the other month, and how the Coalition had put over £7.2billion additional funding into adult services... although how the social services and social worker have reacted with my mother, stepfather and myself, you wouldn't have thought it!

But at least I now have an ally in my continuing illness - and she is in Parliament - so that is good for us all with dementia and the care we have to receive... and give! :p

Take care

Daryl x

Daryl2510

Benefit changes

*** UPDATE ***

I have received two letters from my local Council with regards to my benefit. I used to have to pay towards my rent and council tax - I always have...

However, and without even being informed by the DWP about any extra help I could get since I won my appeal on the ESA claim, since I was put on the Support related ESA, the council have sent me new notifications.

I am now entitled to 'full' housing and council tax benefit, and have been since I was put on ESA in July last year.... however, I have been paying my rent and council tax like I always have done. The letter from the council has told me that since I won my appeal to go from Work to Support category on ESA it has made changes to benefit.

The crux of it all is I have paid over £300 more than I should be doing in housing rent and council tax, as since July I didn't need to pay anything... now I have got to try and claim all this back - and the council certainly aren't going to make this easy for me, as they say they cannot refund any credit! Well seeing as though I shouldn't have been paying anything in the first place, I am not leaving it at that.

...Here comes another battle with authority - it annoys me when you have done nothing wrong... they are the first with threatening and demanding letters if you owe them anything. I know this, because I received a summons once in 2003 because I owed them - wait for it - 2p ... that's right, £0.02 and they were taking me to court for it. So I went with a £50 note and demanded they take the payment - lets see how they treat me, now they owe me over £300!

I'll keep you informed of events

Daryl2510

The above post has now been resolved. :)

I have been in touch with my local council and they are refunding the £55 council tax they owe me to my bank account, and my local housing association have today sent me an authorisation form for me to fill in, so they can send me a cheque for the excess money I have paid over the past few months... I have got £200+ to come from them.

At least it is in the process of being resolved, and it wasn't really as much hassle as I thought it was going to be. :)

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I'm pleased you got it sorted Daryl and are getting back what is rightfully yours I bet you are relieved,

Jeany x

Daryl2510

It is a big relief, and another chapter that I can gladly put behind me...

...now I am leaving the rest to my local MP, who is taking up my plight after her help in the Dementia debate in Parliament and personal replies from her and the Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Danny Alexander. :)

Daryl2510

Benefit refund

Since I won my appeal to be put onto the Support grop of ESA, I wasn't informed or aware that I would become entitled to full housing benefit and council tax benefit either.

I have been continuing to pay my excess rent each week, and my council tax every month.... but then the other week I received a letter from my council saying there had been a change to my benefit situation.

To cut a long story short (and mainly because I can't remember what happened in between times ;)) I have received a cheque to the value of nearly £300 in overpayments by me... I have only got to pay them my home insurance every fortnight now!

Good news at last! :)

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Wow, Daryl, I am seriously impressed with your whole attitude to life, your illnesses, your loyalty, your determination and everything else. You are an inspiration and make me feel ashamed of feeling sorry for myself this week.

I hope you continue in this way for a long, long time. You are a little bit younger than me and I can't imagine taking on this fight with the same spirit that you have done.

Well done that man!

Keep posting because you have uplifted me and I'm sure many others too. :):)

Daryl2510

Thanks everyone for the replies...

I have treated myself to a Chinese takeaway for myself and my nephew who lives with me and helps look after things when they get a little too much. We had the meal for 4 order, which cost £40 - and took us two days to eat it! :p

I have been able to put extra credit into the gas and electric meter too, do they when I get my next benefit payment, I will have a little money left for myself to spend for a change.

I also gave my nephew some money as he goes pay me a little board do I thought it only fair that he gets a little bit back. :)

Daryl2510

I have got a Social Worker assigned to me now, and she is coming out to see me on the 28 March for a financial and personal assessment.

I think because the new financial year starts in April, she is arranging a care package and activity package for me now that my benefits are stable adn the dementia clinic has recommended that she see me on a hoe visit.

I will update after this to let those of you interested in what has happened. :)

rjm

Jun 19, 2012
Ontario, Canada
it's good to hear that things are starting to fall into place for you. I hope the care package that gets put together is what you want.

Best of luck,

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951