Newbie here! Where to start

Eaexh01

Jul 6, 2020
Hi there, thank you for letting me join.
The last few months have been a huge challenge which has seen my mother transform from relative independence to multiple hospital admissions and currently staying in a nursing home.
As much as her physical problems are a worry, what is most concerning is the sudden decline in her cognition. She is hugely confused, obstructive and Paranoid. UTI’s etc have been ruled out and so her GP will start organise other tests. Of course all of this has been made infinitely more stressful as I haven’t been able to visit or see her for the last 3 weeks. I therefore have no idea what is going with her, all I can say is that she is ‘changed’.
The hospital originally ruled out stroke but Would a scan show up minor TIA?

sorry if I’m rambling, so much has happened in the last couple of months, my head is spinning.
I have also been advised to get LPOA but I’m not sure Mum is even up to completing the application now. Also my brother wants to be jointly named and he has literally had nothing to do with Mum’s care or welfare for years. I don’t think Mum would even want him to be making decisions on her behalf.

Any help or thoughts much appreciated!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Yes it is up to your mother to decide who she wants. She does not have to complete the forms, you can do that for her but she has to understand what she is signing. You will also need two others to sign the forms. One as a witness and another as a certificate provider to sign that your mother understands what she is signing and is agreeable to it. I used dads neighbours as they knew him well.

You could run into problems as she is in a care home and it may be difficult to set this up at the moment.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Eaexh01

@Banjomansmate is right it is up to your mum to appoint someone to be her attorney while she still understands that it is so you can help her with her finances. You can print the forms off online and fill them in. You just need someone who has known your mum for two years or more to sign to say she understands what she’s doing. It doesn’t matter if she doesn’t remember five minutes later as long as she understands in the moment. You don’t even have to tell your brother about it and I’d personally be suspicious of him suddenly wanting to be involved after many years of not caring.

You can fill in the forms for your mum - she only needs to sign.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @Eaexh01 . I'm sorry to hear about your mum. You mention that she has been in hospital several times. Was your mum already showing signs of confusion before then? Hospital stays can result in a huge increase in existing confusion and delirium from hospital treatment/operations can last for some time.

It sounds as though your mum is in the right place for now and that the GP is looking after things. Are you able to speak to the nursing home staff on a regular basis for updates?

According to the Stroke Foundation, a TIA cannot be seen on a CT or MRI.

Keep posting for support and advice. There will be plenty of friendly help for you here.