New Wheelchair

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
I was issued a new wheelchair yesterday by wheelchair services and am struggling getting it in and out of my car. My old one I've had for about 9 years (might be more or less than that) and I had a routine of how to get it in and out the car. This new one is quite a bit bigger and has more to do in order to collapse it to lift it over myself into and out of the car and I keep forgetting the sequence.

Wheelchair services staff did go through it with me yesterday but I keep struggling and it's frustrating.

Not sure if there are any suggestions anyone can make, I think I just needed to vent a bit.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Could you call them and tell them you are struggling with it, Dan? Maybe they could come and go through it again. I always found professionals like that are so used to doing these things themselves, they would whizz through demonstrating, and then leave, expecting you to have got it! Whereas any new piece of equipment, I find, it always takes a few "go's" before I grasp how it works. Was t here a particular reason they gave you this new one, and not a similar one to your old one?

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
I can ask them, that's a good idea thanks. My old one is really old and falling apart, my GP noticed and referred me for a new one. The new one is similar in style to my old one, just bigger and has a higher backrest so takes a bit more getting in.

THank you.