New User

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Gosh this all sounds so familiar. The accusations can be extremely wearing and as has been said there is an automatic gut reaction to them, they are so ludicrous and so unjust yet the accuser implicity believes in what they are saying. Sadly your mum knows she had the plant pot and has concocted the tale of it;s theft to rationalise what to her is a contradictory and inexplicable happening. That is her plant pot has vanished, hence someone has stolen it. so she turns on the only people she knows and accuses them. It won;t go away because mum will forget she was accusing you five minutes ago but sadly doesn;t forget her plant pot - it;s like the brain gets stuck in the same old groove and goes over and over like a stuck record.

I can say that reason won't work. It may be possible to distract, but that doesn;t always work.

Sad to say the only response to it - at least if you're on the phone - if mum becomes agressive, verbally abusive or starts with accusations is to say "I am sorry but if you are going to speak that way I am going to say goodbye and will put the phone down". Effectively this is like walking out of the room.

Yes, we can remember that it's the disease talking, but it sure doesn;t make it any less painful to have a loved one saying horrible, hurtful things, accusing us of dreadful things we haven't done or saying literally "demented" stuff.

It is possible to buy devices that stop phones dialling all but a list of permitted numbers. It really sounds as though something has to be done to stop mum pestering people at work.

I know exactly what you mean - even when my dad isn;t accusing us of things or off on one of his paranoid rants about our "wicked" neighbour, we feel like we are walking around in a minefield waiting for the next outburst. Of course dad thinks he;s saying something new rather than the same old stuff for the hundredth time and so gets agitated when we don;t respond the way he things we should!

Sad to say mum usually pretends she is deaf and just ignores him, and usually he sputters on for a while before lapsing into a sulky silence.

Mellow Yellow

Jul 10, 2007
Again thank you to all of you for your responses. You can't imagine what a relief it is to know that others are in a similar situation and as confused, angry and upset as I can be!! I haven't been on the website for a while as things got so difficult with mum that my brothers have taken over (in their own way!). After a three week break she contacted me in one of her better moods and I feel happy as for the time being I am able to help her - always mindful of the fact that things can change overnight.

I have contacted social services but am still waiting for them to come back to me. I shall keep in touch with the website and there will be doubtless more rants from me to come!!:)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I shall keep in touch with the website and there will be doubtless more rants from me to come!!

Yes :) that what TP hear for

After a three week break she contacted me in one of her better moods and I feel happy as for the time being I am able to help her - always mindful of the fact that things can change overnight.

also of course to share the good news :)

pleased to read that you took a break and your mother in a better mood :)

ChrisD

Jul 22, 2007
Hampshire
I am so pleased to hear that things at the moment are better with your mum, mellow yellow. I have not posted anything on here for a while (although I am logged in most days), mainly because there has been no change in my mother who is still verbally aggressive towards me. I now visit once a month, but only when someone else is there, as I can't cope with visiting on my own. I have also stopped ringing, again because she is so rude on the phone. I did however ring her last night as it was her birthday. The carer answered the phone and didn't tell mum who it was. She was lovely to start with and said she had a nice day and thanked me for ringing etc. She then asked who she was talking to and when I told her it was almost as if someone had turned on a switch. The change was so dramatic and she started with the verbal abuse again. I just repeated that I had rung up to wish her a happy birthday and then said goodbye. I came off the phone shaking. I had intended to visit tomorrow with my husband but just think there is no point. It doesn't achieve anything.

How much longer is this going to continue? As some of you may remember it started when she thought I had turned off her gas cooker nearly 3 months ago (it seems much longer ago than that). She has been told by the Social Worker and friends that I was not involved but will not believe anyone. She has also said she will not allow me in the house until I get it turned back on! I will not be blackmailed and it is certainly not for me to make that decision. It would be nice to think that if I did have it turned back on she would change, but I don't think so. She continues to say incredibly hurtful things and I have done what people have suggested, i.e. walk away, but it makes no difference to her. When I said goodbye to her on the phone she just said good riddance! I still keep saying to myself that you can't reason with the unreasonable, but it still hurts. I am having trouble developing a thick skin. I know there is nothing you can really suggest but just wanted to offload. TP is good for that.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Chris,

Whatever is said, this verbal abuse will never stop hurting you. You are at a low ebb to start with, and this only makes it worse.

Try to protect yourself as much as possible. If your mother fails to recognize your voice over the phone, tell her it`s someone else. Invent a new name for yourself and you`ll find out her news and how she is without her knowing it`s you.

There`s absolutely no point in being so upset if it can possibly be avoided. If your mother thinks you have given her the cold shoulder, she just might welocome you with open arms when you tell her who you really are.

Love xx

Isobel

Aug 13, 2007
Central Scotland
Hi Mellow Yellow,
That is so like my mother, very agressive verbally and sometimes violent then she would tell everyone how wonderful I was. She is now in hospital after a bad episode.
I have found the shared experience on the site a real comfort. Try and make time for yourself and don't try to manage with out help.
Isobel