New type of dementia identified

Discussion in 'Dementia-related news and campaigns' started by nitram, Apr 30, 2019.

1. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    '...up to a third of Alzheimer's in elderly people may instead be Late, says the international team of researchers, although both dementias can co-exist.'

In context Late is limbic-predominant age-related TDP-43 encephalopathy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48092570

2. Amelie5a

Amelie5a Registered User

Nov 5, 2014
    Scotland
    This is really interesting - and seems to have been reported widely today. I've just been having a look at some of the longer articles elsewhere.

Anything which could lead to effective treatment is so overdue - maybe this new understanding might lead to help for this particular subset of dementia patients.

3. Lawson58

Lawson58 Registered User

My husband has had four different labels attached to his Alzheimer's which led me to believe that no one really has a clue about what type of dementia he actually has. I think this just indicates that there is still lots that they don't know about any of this. Every time I read about other people's experiences of caring, I know my husband doesn't slot into anything else I see. It would be nice to be hopeful at least for others who are to follow in our footsteps so maybe it's a start.