1. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    It sends an alert to your registered email , if you monitor that email on multiple devices you will see the alert multiple times..
    Don't understand the reference to an iPad.
    Don't worry about being 4 years old, unless you are interested in a feature that was not available 4 years ago and which it does not support, it's probably just a bit slower.

2. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    It's age doesn't bother me, Nitram! I'm a believer in using things until they really are worn out or broken beyond redemption!! Hate wastefulness.

3. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
  4. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    Thank you.

5. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
  6. Chemmy

Chemmy Registered User

Nov 7, 2011
    Yorkshire
    I may be wrong but I got the impression he was referring more to the physical size of the screen. My android tablet is a different shape (16:9) to the ipad (4:3) so there is even less space to work in above the keyboard when in landscape.

7. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    Yes, of course, I saw the post and have responded. However my reply was for Chemmy regarding the android tablet versus the ipad which I see I possibly misinterpreted.

8. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    #268 Saffie, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Ah yes, sorry, I may have read this differently and you are probably right.
    Either way Pete hasn’t returned with more information so maybe this probably is just an Apple problem.

9. Chemmy

Chemmy Registered User

Nov 7, 2011
    Yorkshire
    It's looking that way. Specifically the ipad it seems. The iphone is too small to have the horizontal bar menu and one would assume an iMac is too big for it to be a problem.

Same for the bigger androids I guess. It does seem to me to be an available space issue.

10. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    I don’t know what I’ve done

for some reason I’m not getting email alerts on my Watched threads

They suddenly stopped yesterday

Sometimes when I click on “Watched threads” I’m informed I am not watching any threads, but on my Watched threads I still have an “eye” symbol on the list of recent posts.

Very strange

11. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    #271 nitram, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Are you getting the flag alerts?
    Try disabling and re-enabling the email option

I don't have emails enabled on watched threads but have just failed to get an email on a conversation where I have it enabled.

The 'eye' and the watched threads list don't always agree, best to rely on the 'eye' and if any problems unwatch the thread and watch it again.

Watched threads, quotes, and mentions cannot be relied upon, they quite often fail to work.for me and I have seen comments in posts that mentions have not worked

EDIT
    A further conversation from A N Other has not caused an email, nor has one from my test account.
    Toggling the option does not help.
    I've informed admin.

12. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    I know someone flagged up a while ago that you don't get an alert if you are mentioned in a post and that is still not working for me in the last couple of weeks.

TBH I've been so busy in the last month I didn't have time or energy to work out where to comment.

I don't have anything coming through on emails and had wondered if setting things to come through on email might work, but with only one shared with OH email account not got the energy to go to set another one up.

13. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    I've done various tests, it looks as if emails are globally switched 'off', it is a possible setting as they were on the test site.

14. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    I’ve never conciously watched a thread - as in clicked a button to watch a thread.

If I reply in a thread it automatically became a watched thread....

As an aside, not important, but if I did click on email link, it would open a new page in my browser and not take me to my open page - if that makes sense.

One night I had 6 browser pages open :)

15. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    I've deliberately unticked everything so emails don't come through - so even if they are working I shouldn't get one

16. Amethyst59

Amethyst59 Registered User

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Kent
    I get an email if someone has mentioned me in a post, or if someone posts on my thread.

17. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    @Amethyst59

Did you get an email for this mention?

18. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    I don’t always get the red flag alert and sometimes it comes after I have already seen the post via Recent Posts. I got fed up with the number of emails I was originally getting so switched that option off. Now I just run down the list of Recent Posts though I know I probably miss some that have moved on to other pages. I catch up when I can.

19. Amethyst59

Amethyst59 Registered User

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Kent
    No...but they often come through quite a while afterwards. I’ll let you know when I get it!

20. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    I have unticked everything that is possible to untick but apparently I'm unable to NOT get emails alerting me to new "conversations". Why is that? I'm here so much I see them anyway.