1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

2. Hi everyone, Talking Point is back! We’ve updated the software in order to improve security, design, and the way the community works, and introduced some helpful features.

Find out more

New TP Site & iPad Issues

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Talking Point' started by Sam Luvit, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Chemmy

Chemmy Volunteer Moderator

Nov 7, 2011
    Yorkshire
    Yes, but the blue bar would still need to be sited at the top of the page when we start using the reply box, not shunted off the screen as it is now. But there might be enough freed up space then for the formatting bar to sit there too.

2. Amethyst59

Amethyst59 Registered User

Jul 3, 2017
    Kent
    If it is ‘undocked’ it does float.

3. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    We are stuck with ZenForo, changes like that won't happen soon unless they are already on the developers radar.

4. Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
    Yorkshire
    It's not a case of being 'stuck' with Zenforo which is a very good platform. I suspect this is more likely to be an unforeseen TP specific design issue. But it does need to be looked into as it could be off putting for users who only have access to an iPad.

I don't suppose anyone has a screenshot of or access to the test site, do they? Was the blue/white bar the same format/ depth on there?

5. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
  6. Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
    Yorkshire
    Thanks, nitram. This first link was useful.

Two screenshots of the same page on the iPad, one landscape, one portrait......spot the difference

Yep, no white menu bar on the portrait version, just the little menu icon. So that's a start..
    .. IMG_1801.PNG IMG_1802.PNG

7. Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
    Yorkshire
    IMG_1805.PNG IMG_1804.PNG

And the same page with text in the reply box, in landscape and portrait. As you can see, the word 'testing' and cursor are hidden in the landscape version

8. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    So do you have to split the keyboard to access thto floating keyboard that you can use one handed then?
    I think in view of Chemmy’s response I’d rather leave things as they are. I’m always wary of getting myself into something and being unable to remember the way back.
    I’ve come back to bed as not feeling well but might have a look later. Sorry not up to it right now but thanks.

9. Sam Luvit

Sam Luvit Registered User

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    I’ve lost the question that started me looking, but some pages back there was a suggestion that it must be the upgrade to OS 11 that caused the issues, as it came out shortly after the new site went live

I posted a comment on 17/10 about the issues, I’d just upgraded to OS11 & said it had been the same before I upgraded from OS10.

I never upgrade immediately as I like to check it works first

Just saying ....

10. Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
    Yorkshire
    That's useful to know, Sam. I was the one who suggested it could be the reason a couple of days ago, but I agree, it looks as though it was a red herring as I have the problem and I'm still on OS10. Grasping at straws......:D

I've been reading other forums and the size of the keyboard in landscape has been an issue for years.

Best advice as I can see it atm, is to use the ipad in landscape for reading posts, but turn it to portrait when you want to type a reply, if it's bothering you.

11. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    I agree Chemmy but it is odd that I wasn’t aware of any problem with this when we were testing the site. Why?
    Every little thing was scrutinised so I’m sure I would have mentioned it as there were a number of things that did crop up as I was the only one with an iPad for most of the time.

It also doesn’t explain why some of us have it and others, e.g. Izzy doesn’t.

Still, as you say I think we just have to find our own ways of coping with it.
    I am finding it a little easier when I remember to bring the reply box right down to the keyboard.
    The trouble is remembering to do this and when I don’t I get an annoying reminder pretty quickly!

12. Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
    Yorkshire
    I can't find any screenshots of the test site, Saffie, as virtually all the discussion took place there, not on the regular TP site, so it's hard to establish what was going on back then. I was using my laptop for the test site, so wouldn't have encountered any problem anyway.

But at least admin are aware of the issue now, and will no doubt be looking into it. @Mark_W

13. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    #233 Saffie, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    I’m wondering if it’s connected to the information at the bottom of the screen.
    I have have a funny feeling that during the testing the Recent Posts might have been on the left hand side of the screen, as we look at it. There was stuff at the bottom but maybe it was smaller or maybe accessed via Members on the top bar.
    Maybe I am mistaken but I do recall mentioning to Mark that the Help video didn’t reflect what I saw on the iPad in relation to where the RHS side information was on the video.
    A long shot maybe.
    It’s hard to remember as that time was quite frantic for a while and changes came and went as things were adjusted .

14. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Reading back I think there two distinct problems, both only affecting landscape:
    Not everybody has both problems.
    • The top of the textbox is obscured, a work around is to lower the box before typing.
    • The header flashes up when 'draft saved' is shown. Any attempt to do any formatting causes dropdowns which can only be cleared by using the browser back button. A work around for these problems is to disable javascript which cripples formatting and other features. One member has resorted to using two browsers
    @Mark_W

15. Sam Luvit

Sam Luvit Registered User

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Thank you @nitram, that’s about it in a nutshell from what I can see

I’ve mostly reverted to using the old fashioned : - ) rather than risking the smiley on the formatting bar, unless I want something different & then I try to type slowly!!

16. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    #236 nitram, Nov 15, 2017
    You did query this in the video, the answer was that the new software was responsive and changed the layout according to the device it detected, a description of the layout on mobiles and tablets was posted on launch.
    This description does not cover all the possibilities.
    If I view the site in landscape and then reduce the width the first change is that the RH sidebar becomes a bottom bar followed by the menu and notification bars being replaced by a hamburger in the top LH corner. Three distinct layouts.

EDIT
    Make that 4 layouts, only applicable on 'home'
    Everything there
    RH sidebar goes
    Latest post in a forum goes
    Menu bar goes

17. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    I don’t think there are two problems as I think they are the same one which happens whether or not the top of the text box is obscured. Sometimes the text box top is bound to be obscured if it is a long post.

I know nothing about the ‘draft saved’ this doesn’t have to be showing when it happens.
    It does so whenever I go back along a line of text to correct something and this is while I am typing.

18. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    Incidentally I received no red flag for this thread nor for any others today.

19. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    #239 nitram, Nov 15, 2017
    For info.
    The four layouts obtained as the aspect ratio is progressively changed from landscape to portrait are:

One.png

Two.png

Three.png

Four.png

As the layout changes anything disappearing from the RH side reappears at the bottom.

20. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    They sometimes switch themselves off and then on again.
    To correct it toggle them off and on again.
    Do it on the threads, changing setting in the watched list does not always work.

Sorry for thread hijack @Sam Luvit