1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Sam Luvit

Sam Luvit Registered User

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    I’m not sure where to post this, I’m guessing at a good place

I’m in no way critisising the new site, just frustrated at jumping around while trying to type a post & I have commented on the issue in FAQ

I’m just curious as to how many other people, using an iPad are having the same issue. Maybe we can share what is happening & a solution can be found

The only thing that has stopped it so far, is turning off Java, but this means losing other functions

I talk a lot on here, it’s my pressure release, but I’m conscious that new members may be disheartened & leave, or others may stop posting. I know I’ve picked up the iPad, tried to post, put it down & walked away.

I’d hate to think that someone who needed help, a listening ear or a rant to relieve the pressure, could be left feeling worse than they did, just because they can’t post

So. Who else is struggling with drop down menus covering their typing, the header bar appearing when draft saved & finds themselves on some random other forum, or what else is your iPad doing that’s frustrating you. I can’t be the only one. Can I????

2. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    I have a tablet, not an iPad, and have not noticed any issues. Tbh, the new site is so mobile friendly, I usually use it on my phone. I couldn't manage the old site on the phone at all!

3. Amethyst59

Amethyst59 Registered User

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Kent
    I have problems with the iPad too....I thought it was just me. It is mostly if I am trying to edit a post. Tapping on the text opens ‘members’ and navigates to another screen....or sometimes opens ‘chat’, depending on where on the screen the text is...towards top or bottom of my screen. It means I sometimes just leave typos in...it is easier. In fact, I have just had to correct something in this, and I solved the problem by ‘moving ‘ the text down the screen first...but it is awkward. I’m finding it harder to use the emoticons too...having to double or triple tap to get them. Yup....just tried, and got the drop down menu for Newest Members etc.

4. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Hi @LadyA

I can use it on my phone, but the screen is so much bigger on the iPad that I prefer that, unfortunately it’s not working so well on that :-(

5. Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
    East Sussex
    Thank you @Amethyst59, that’s it exactly, I was beginning to feel it was just me.

I too have found I have to pull the page down to try to get smiley faces without ending up in new members, or be careful when editing or I can end up just about anywhere

I only posted once a day for a week or so as I couldn’t face the stress of moving the page up & down & going back to find it when I ended up in random forums :-(

I’d hate to think of how I would have felt a year ago if this had happened. I’m guessing I’d have walked away. There is so little out there in the way of support, I’m not sure how I’d have dealt with Mum, without TP :-(

6. Amethyst59

Amethyst59 Registered User

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Kent
    Well, I think it is because I am relatively new user, and I have never used anything but iPad from the start, that I have persevered. I have used my phone a couple of times...but the tiny screen is frustrating. I am trying to think if it has ever stoppped me posting, and I don’t think it has...I just assumed it was my fault! I think the only way it has affected me is that I leave some typos or ‘false’ autocorrects in. I have typed with eyes full of tears, and no glasses...and the effect has been interesting, to say the least!!
    But, seriously, I guess we won’t know how many new members this has been affecting. I assume a lot will be using a phone, and this site is better for that? So it might be swings and roundabouts?

7. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    #7 Izzy, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    I use my iPad most of the time. I don't know if it's just a matter of getting used to it but I'm ok with it.

I'm going to edit this post after I've written it to see what you mean about the drop down menu etc appearing.

Edit - when I pressed edit the text box opened on top of the post. It was ok.

Really sorry if I'm not understanding the problems. I'm not quite awake. ! I can't say that I've done anything particular to make it work better for me.

8. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    I’ve just tried to replicate your edit problem Sam.

Edit.It’s fine for me.

9. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    @sam71
    @Amethyst59
    No Amethyst, it isn’t because you are comparatively new and yes Sam, this has been a constant bugbear to me since the switch over and I have mentioned it frequently. It happened now when I inserted the “No at the beginning of this post.
    It has become so bad that I am considering giving up and leaving.

I am not a typist and make mistakes anyway as my mind is always ahead of my fingers and together with the iPads desire to alter words as it fancies, it means I am constantly checking and going back to remedy something. Where I end up depends on where along the line of text I press. Often the jumping around easy losing the entire page.

Nitram said he thought it was to do with the smaller space below the top bar but it isn’t. My typing is nowhere near the bar and it isn’t even on my screen.
    This didn’t happen at all during testing. Not once.

10. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    #10 Saffie, Nov 10, 2017
    Editing isn’t the problem. That’s fine, it’s when actually writing a post and then going back to change something before posting that it happens - constantly.

11. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    I’ll try and do a screen shot.
    Sorry that didn’t work.
    File didn’t post.

12. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I'll do that now and see what happens.

I'm sorry if I'm being dense but I'm not seeing the problem. As you know I'm the typo queen. It may not seem like it but I often do notice typos before I pistvand go back to change them.

I've clicked all over this box and the cursor is going in where I want to make the change before I post. Maybe I'm still not understanding the problem. .

13. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    Second attempt.

535394C5-4AD8-4062-90FF-AF227710E1A3.png

It takes ages to get rid of the dropdown too and you can’t continue writing until it disappears by clicking on to the top. It’s very frustrating and deters me from posting.
    Some might say that’s no bad thing!:rolleyes:

14. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I've not had that.

Just a thought. Is it a full size iPad on iPad mini? I'm on a full size one just now. I'll try my iPad mini later - when I get up!

15. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    Mine is full size and to be honest, as I’ve said, I don’t think it is a matter of size despite what Nitram has said.
    All tablets are small.

When testing I seems to only one with an iPad and there were a number of things that differed from what Admin and others saw. Even the Help video is not exactly as seen on an iPad as I pointed out at the time. However, this problem didn’t arise.

I am so relieved that I am not the only one experiencing it.

Actually, it’s probably easier to just write a few words in a post and then edit immediately as it seems to be better when editing!

16. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Morning!
    Yes, I’m using an iPad and I’m having more problems than previously. I often get the shot above, but with forums rather than media. I have put it down to missing whatever it was I wanted to post!
    I have problems editing as well. I now post and edit the post, which seems to work OK.
    I’m not sure what I did yesterday, but I lost a whole post and couldn’t retrieve it. The good side was that other posts had appeared meanwhile, so rewrote a whole new post
    I’ve put it down to large arthritic fingers, but maybe not?
    Emoticons ☹️. OK, I dont use a lot these days as some people don’t like them!!

However, I feel I’m posting less,and I’m certainly doing more editing than I ever did! Like others, if I was a newbie I would have given up by now.

17. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    I used to get that sometimes in landscape mode. You need to make sure the text box is lower down the screen before you type.
    It doesn’t happen at all in portrait mode.

18. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    As I mentioned above I think which heading drops down depends on where one is typing but I think I will now do as you do and work from edit.
    It shouldn’t be necessary though and it seems that in helping a number of members who were deterred by the loss of the app, others have found the change less helpful.
    However, as it didn’t occur during testing there should be a remedy.
    Other hiccups have come up which also didn’t happen during testing so hopefully this can eventually be addressed.

19. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    #19 Saffie, Nov 10, 2017
    Mine is always at the bottom, just above the Chat with the keyboard below and there is plenty of space above,
    I cannot see the top blue bar which is the cause of the problem on my screen at all.
    I never use my iPad in portrait mode as computer screens are always landscape but if needs must I dare say I could manage it. However, I say again that it shouldn’t be necessary as this didn’t happen at all during the weeks of testing.

20. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester