New to TP

Amber 3

Feb 4, 2015
South Devon
I have been reading the posts on this site for a few months now and am amazed at the way everyone reaches out to help each other. Some of the posts I have found absolutely heart breaking, and others truly uplifting. I have joined TP because my husband was diagnosed with dementia just before Christmas although the symptoms have been coming on over several years. Hubby refused to see a doctor and every time I broached the subject the answer was always the same .."There's nothing wrong with me !" One day just before Christmas I had to leave John for a short while to do some shopping and when I arrived home he had cut his hand on a kitchen knife. I couldn't stop the bleeding although it was only small cut it was very deep. Outcome was we finished up in A&E and the senior nurse who treated the wound soon noticed there was something wrong as my husbands speech is affected and the nurse asked me if my husband had had a stroke. I explained the situation with the dementia and the refusal to see a GP and the nurse phoned our surgery and the next day a GP turned up on the doorstep ! From then on it's been a bit of a rollercoaster but I have found reading the posts on TP so helpful as all aspects of this terrible disease seem to be covered in one way or another.
The most difficult thing I find is to cope with is the personality changes this disease brings. From being one of the calmest people on the planet my husband now swears and shouts when I can't understand what he is saying. I know it's frustration but still very upsetting when it happens...Also has hallucinations, mostly at night, so we don't get much sleep. I think I will need to get some help in the future but at the moment just take each day as it comes and we cope the best we can.

pony-mad

May 23, 2014
Mid-Wales
Welcome Amber3, I am sorry that you have had to find yourself here but glad that you now have, imho the best source of support and knowledge possible. Don't wait till you are at screaming pitch to ask for help; there are things that can help no matter what stage you are at.
Keep reading and posting when you feel the need!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Amber3 welcome to talking point, my hubby has Alzheimers, l have been with TP 2yrs it is a wonderful forum, always someone here to talk to even in the middle of the night, anything that is troubling you there is someone that can give you an answer, it is such an awful disease, l feel for you and know what you are going through, keeping posting take care look after yourself ♡♡♡

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hello Amber my husband also has Alzheimer's and he is 65 diagnosed in 2011. He does get very frustrated at times because his executive function is affected . It's hard for him as he is so aware of his illness and he gets frustrated with himself for not finding the right word to reply or forgetting how to do certain things. I try to distract him but it does not always work. Keep posting and letting us know how you get on

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hi Amber3 and welcome. Sounds like you have been having a really hard time and it must have been particularly difficult without knowing exactly what was happening, and your husband refusing to acknowledge it.
This forum is a wonderful source of information and support so it's good you are here.
Best wishes
Es
x

Amber 3

Feb 4, 2015
South Devon
Thank you so much for the replies, it's so comforting to know there are others out there
fighting the same battles to the best of our abilities...

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thank you so much for the replies, it's so comforting to know there are others out there
fighting the same battles to the best of our abilities...

A warm welcome from me too, to TP, where you will find the most wonderful support, and advice. :) There are so many people here offering the cyber-hand of friendship, and there are few problems that someone else hasn't experienced at some time.

We can all only do the best we can. Alas, personality changes are a common side-effect, but it's always good to read the coping mechanisms that others use.

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
I have been reading the posts on this site for a few months now and am amazed at the way everyone reaches out to help each other. Some of the posts I have found absolutely heart breaking, and others truly uplifting. I have joined TP because my husband was diagnosed with dementia just before Christmas although the symptoms have been coming on over several years. Hubby refused to see a doctor and every time I broached the subject the answer was always the same .."There's nothing wrong with me !" One day just before Christmas I had to leave John for a short while to do some shopping and when I arrived home he had cut his hand on a kitchen knife. I couldn't stop the bleeding although it was only small cut it was very deep. Outcome was we finished up in A&E and the senior nurse who treated the wound soon noticed there was something wrong as my husbands speech is affected and the nurse asked me if my husband had had a stroke. I explained the situation with the dementia and the refusal to see a GP and the nurse phoned our surgery and the next day a GP turned up on the doorstep ! From then on it's been a bit of a rollercoaster but I have found reading the posts on TP so helpful as all aspects of this terrible disease seem to be covered in one way or another.
The most difficult thing I find is to cope with is the personality changes this disease brings. From being one of the calmest people on the planet my husband now swears and shouts when I can't understand what he is saying. I know it's frustration but still very upsetting when it happens...Also has hallucinations, mostly at night, so we don't get much sleep. I think I will need to get some help in the future but at the moment just take each day as it comes and we cope the best we can.

Welcome from me too, people on here are so caring, you've come to the right place, I'm sorry you've had a trying time, but good on your GP to come to you !
Take care of yourself as well.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Hi Amber welcome, as others have said I'm sorry you needed to find TP but it's an amazing resource and source of comfort and reassurance.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point