New to TP and to Alzheimers issues

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
When my husband was first diagnosed he consistently scored in the high 20s for the first few years. He was prescribed Donepezil from the beginning though. Over the 14 years since his diagnosis the score gradually began to drop. He is now on no mediation as he would score nil on the MMSE now.

I'm guessing he was a well educated man then lovely? Is that a factor do you think?

My mind is being slightly blown to discover that I was quite wrong re: scores and medication.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm guessing he was a well educated man then lovely? Is that a factor do you think?

My mind is being slightly blown to discover that I was quite wrong re: scores and medication.

I was told by the consultant that people with a higher level of education were harder to diagnosis as they could find strategies for disguising their problem. We were at the point where the memory clinic doctor was going to question the diagnosis when his scores started to dip. After that it was a slow decline for him. That was around 6 or so years ago. He's been on no medication for the last two years or so.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
My husband scored 29 to start with but he took such a long time to complete the test and even though there was no time limit the consultant knew something was not quite right. Now, nearly 5 years on John scores 24 still :) mind it did dip to 17 but medication got changed and he went straight to 24 again .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
Mine as well .... and the MMSE is not really a great test as once people know what it contains they can prepare for it, eg finding out the date in advance. But I guess the fact that they do prepare means that they have a certain amount of mental awareness which they lose later on.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Mine as well .... and the MMSE is not really a great test as once people know what it contains they can prepare for it, eg finding out the date in advance. But I guess the fact that they do prepare means that they have a certain amount of mental awareness which they lose later on.

I hate the MMSE!!!!:rolleyes:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan