New to TP and to Alzheimers issues

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Poet1, Aug 11, 2015.

1. JayGun

JayGun Registered User

Jun 24, 2013
    I'm guessing he was a well educated man then lovely? Is that a factor do you think?

My mind is being slightly blown to discover that I was quite wrong re: scores and medication.

2. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I was told by the consultant that people with a higher level of education were harder to diagnosis as they could find strategies for disguising their problem. We were at the point where the memory clinic doctor was going to question the diagnosis when his scores started to dip. After that it was a slow decline for him. That was around 6 or so years ago. He's been on no medication for the last two years or so.

3. chick1962

chick1962 Registered User

Apr 3, 2014
    Female
    near Folkestone
    My husband scored 29 to start with but he took such a long time to complete the test and even though there was no time limit the consultant knew something was not quite right. Now, nearly 5 years on John scores 24 still :) mind it did dip to 17 but medication got changed and he went straight to 24 again .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

4. Chuggalug

Chuggalug Registered User

Mar 24, 2014
    Norfolk
    My hubby to a T, Izzy. That consultant is quite correct.

5. Sammyjo1

Sammyjo1 Registered User

Jul 8, 2014
    Mine as well .... and the MMSE is not really a great test as once people know what it contains they can prepare for it, eg finding out the date in advance. But I guess the fact that they do prepare means that they have a certain amount of mental awareness which they lose later on.

6. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I hate the MMSE!!!!:rolleyes:

7. chick1962

chick1962 Registered User

Apr 3, 2014
    Female
    near Folkestone
    I do too :( john worries about it