New to this

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
At least the doctor has taken you seriously katdan, which is good. A home visit might be just the ticket, unless your father turns on the charm and tries to convince the doctor he is fine. Try to prepare yourself for that, it often happens.
Please let us know how it goes.
Love xx

Doreen99

Jan 12, 2008
Sheffield
I saw Dads doctor today and he is referring him to a doctor who will visit him at home to evaluate him, he said I should hear from her within 2 weeks. Although I sometimes find it difficult to cope with Dad, after reading some of the stories here I feel like a fraud as Dad is not as bad as some.

Dear Katdan

glad you're getting a visit, hopefully the doctor will be experienced enough to see through any "acting" on your dad's part.

Everybody's situation is difficult, but everybody's situation is different. Even if you think your situation isn't as bad as other people's, you're certainly not a fraud. I'm sure this Forum is here to help anybody who needs it - you don't need to notch up "difficulty" points to qualify :)

katdan

Jan 15, 2008
Manchester
Still waiting for doctor

It's over two weeks since dads GP said he would refer dad to a doctor who could come out to assess him - he said someone would be in touch within tow weeks. Does anyone know what the approx waiting time is.

Thanks

Cath:confused:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It's going to vary with each PCT (primary care trust). However, if you were told 2 weeks and nothing's happened, then get on the phone on Monday. Sometimes people slip through the cracks, and always (or so it seems) the squeaky wheel etc. This is not the time to be reticent or retiring I'm afraid.

katdan

Jan 15, 2008
Manchester
I rang dads GP today and surprise surprise it looks like he did not write the referal until 28.1.08, I went to see him on the 17.1.08 and was told that someone would be in touch within two weeks. I rang the hospital and they said they could not find anything for dad. I have been told by the surgery that the letter would be faxed through to the hospital. I will now wait and see if anyone gets in touch!!

Cath:mad:

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear Cath

How sad that you are having this struggle and all you are trying to do is the best for your dad. But don't give up. Believe me, all of us on here have had similar problems at some stage in the journey.

We are all here to encourage you.

Going back to Brucie's response, there is no definition of Alzheimers or even of dementia. My mum knows me perfectly well, and my husband and daughters, but she definitely has Alzheimers. And actually it doesn't matter if your dad has got a "label" or not, his needs are his needs. Forgetfulness and repetition are symptoms of any over the age of about 55 (as most of us carers are!), but when they get to be a cause of possible danger, further investigations are needed, and perhaps more support is required.

I hope you get that appointment soon. Keep us posted, we are with you.

Kind regards

Margaret

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Cath, just thinking what a contrast with both my dad, 5 years ago with stomach cancer, and my mum with AD, the doctor dictated the letter to the consultant while I was sitting in the surgery!

I'd like to think this is cos he is a brilliant GP (and he is), but it was probably cos if he didn't do it there and then, he would forget!

Fingers cross for you.

Margaret

katdan

Jan 15, 2008
Manchester
Thanks so much for that Margaret, it is:eek: good to know that there are other people who understand the problems. I will let you know when I have heard something, fingers crossed.

Cath
:eek:

steviel

Sep 17, 2007
Hi Katdan
I had the same problem with my father, although he was 65, I wrote to his doctor so that when we went in for a "routine" appointment I went with him and said I was just coming in to meet the dr with him. The dr who was great, was aware of all of my concerns and asked the right questions. It is hard but I always think that however hard it is once you know what you are dealing with, you can deal with it.
Hope this helps.
Stevie

katdan

Jan 15, 2008
Manchester
Thanks Stevie, I went to the GP's without Dad, as I mentioned before he does not have any faith in him and does not know that I have been, though if I told him he would only forget. I took him to the chiropodist today and had to tell him many times we were going. I am hoping for an early home visit but will have to wait and see.

Cath

katdan

Jan 15, 2008
Manchester
Still waiting for the doctor to contact me, I rang the hospital and was told that it had taken over three weeks for the referral to get to them, I was told by dads GP that I would hear within two weeks from the hospital!!
I have been out with dad today, we go for lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I try to get him out so he has a decent meal. It is hard work as he asks the same question over and over again and we do not have much to talk about. I know it must be as hard for dad but sometimes I feel very low when I get home. Just thought I would get this off my chest!!

Cath