New to this & only registered today

k-pwhite

Jul 30, 2008
west midlands
I have only just registered today & would like to say hello to everyone.

I am caring for my wife, who was diagnosed with alzheimers & vascular dementia in april of this year.

She is only 61 & I'm still trying to come to terms with it & take it all in.

We have started to go to our local alzheimers society meetings & that has helped enormously with learning about the illness.

Looking back I now realise my wife started having problems about 3 1/2 years ago.

I think that will do for the moment & I hope to chat to many of you in the near future.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hello and welcome to Talking Point

I hope you find the forum helps you.

The people here will understand where you are coming from!

My wife Jan is now 67 but she was 50 when her dementia started - like your wife, she has vascular dementia as well as Alzheimer's.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello k-pwhite,

Another welcome!..

I hope you'll find the site useful..and supportive.I certainly have..

I care for my husband who also has Alzheimers and Vascular Dementia.
He was diagnosed just over 2 years ago..but looking back I can see that the symptoms were there long before that. He is now 71.

Feel free to join in discussions and ask questions..we're all very friendly!

Love gigi xx

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hello k-pwhite,

Welcome to Talking Point.

My husband was 57 when he was diagnoised with AD. Peter is now 62and in final stage and in E.M.I. Unit.

I too went to our local Alzheimer's Branch and the support from my family and all friends on Talking Point have enabled me to cope.

Best wishes
Christine

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi, and welcome from me too!

I care for my husband John, though he's now sadly in a nursing home. He was diagnosed in 2000, at the age of 66. He's now 75.

It's not easy, but you'll find this forum very helpful, both with advice and with support when you need it.

Just post whenever you want to.

margaret101

Jul 17, 2008
clacton on sea
new to this

Welcome my husband Bill has AZ diagnosed 2000 went into nursing home 1 year ago he is only 59 now I am 61 Its not easy
but t p will help

Marg x

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Hello and welcome K-P White.

As a brief introduction, my wife is 62 and has had the disease for just over 6 years.

Like you, I was absolutely devastated and at a loss as to how to cope.

6 years later and with the help of the many friends I have found on this site, the situation is less unbearable.

There is much comfort to be found on here and I am sure that you will find that to be the case.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi k-pwhite
Welcome to our big family of TP members.
My Wife sadly died last July,I had cared for her for 13 years.
I am sure that you will find much help here
Norman

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Hello

My husband has Parkinson's/lewy bodies a Parkinson's type of dementia. We have a double whammy:(
I am 61, my husband is 84, going on 65 (he look's good), well he would to me:).
Keep posting, you will get lot's of help. And, alway's someone to talk to. They are a nice lot (but don't tell them I told you that);)
Barb & Ron

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just wanted to add my 'Welcome' to the list.:) Sorry that you have to be with us but glad you have found the site, it's a great source of info and support. Feel free to ask questions and 'chip in' on threads, there's usually someone around even in the 'wee small hours'! My regards to you and your good lady.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Welcome to TP .

Sorry to read that your wife has Alzheimer's & vascular at the age of Only 61 .

Looking back I now realise my wife started having problems about 3 1/2 years ago.

My mother must of also been living with her dementia for years, I only realized they was something wrong with mum after my father passed away. It Must of been the shock of him dieing that push mum into the late stages .

Has your wife been given any medication to slow it all down yet?

ChrisH

Apr 16, 2008
Devon, England
Hi there

Welcome from me too.
My mum is 82 and also has Vasc D and Alz. I'd never heard of 'mixed dementia' until the consultant gave us the diagnosis. I suspect she's had it about 2 1/2 years but didn't really twig something serious was wrong till March last year when she forgot my husband's birthday - my mum never forgot birthdays. She was writing my son's 18th birthday card a couple of weeks ago and she asked me if she usually signed his cards from 'aunty'!! - it was so sad.
It's so much sadder when I read of younger people with this hideous disease.
You'll find lots of help in here, and you can have a good old moan or just get something off your chest and everyone will understand. Humour helps too, and there's a lot of that around here as well.
Regards
Chris

sammyb

Sep 19, 2007
Nottingham
Hallo. My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's last November following a major back operation. He is 66 - just. I'm 8 years younger. Every medic said the Alzheimer's must have been there before the operation but, if it was, I didn't see it and anyway, it makes no odds to how things are. My husband lies in a darkened room all day, his mobilty all but gone now. My heart went out to your posting because I could feel the shock and devastation you are experiencing and it made me sad. But this site is an absolute lifeline as there are people on here day and night who will always reply to your postings and you can glean so much information from the postings of others. You take care now.

Love from Sammyb

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatherinlaw