New to this need to pick your brains please........

ditzydoodle

Oct 3, 2019
Hi

I now find myself in the position where I am caring for my elderly parents (which is not an issue). Over the past couple of years I have noticed that my mum is becoming increasingly more and more forgetful and we can have the same conversation at least 10 times in half an hour. Dad has his own health problems and is struggling with how mum is at the moment. Has anyone got advice as to where I can go ? Can I talk to her GP ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @ditzydoodle. I’m sorry to read about your mum and dad.

It would be wise to get a assessment of needs for your mum and a carer’s assessment for your dad. This factsheet explains more about the process -

You and your dad might also find this thread useful -

Wishing you strength.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @ditzydoodle and welcome to DTP.

Yes you can talk to her GP, although the GP will not be able to discuss things with you, although they can listen.

If there is a problem getting to talk to the GP because of covid you can also write a letter outlining your concerns. It will go into her records and the doctor will be able to see it when they access the records.

You might also like to keep a diary of all the "odd" things that she does, which will make it easier to explain what is happening.