New to this forum

MRS EM

Oct 6, 2016
Pontefract
Hello everyone,
My Dad has recently been diagnosed with dementia and my brother and i are still trying to find our feet with this illness, he does have a meeting with the nurse on Tuesday and i would love any advise as to what questions i need to be asking and if i need to be in touch with any one else except the memory clinic. Or basically any advice at all would be wonderfull.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Mrs EM

Welcome to Talking Point. I hope you get the support and advice you need from all who have been in your shoes and know how it feels.

I would start by reading the Alzheimer`s Society`s factsheet After a Diagnosis.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=122

and continue to look up appropriate factsheets as the needs arise.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200137

It`s not all about factsheets though and I`m sure you will be able to `compare notes` with many who face and have faced similar situations.

When your dad meets the nurse on Tuesday, take a note pad with you so you can jot down anything which comes to mind and refer to it later.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you go to
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200121#!/search
and search on your postcode you can get information about events and services run by Alzheimer's Society and other organisations.

As well as memory cafés and singing groups there is probably access to an adviser who can visit you and talk things over.

There are two courses that it is worth while asking about:-

CriSP Run for carers.
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=1710

SHARED As the name implies run for both carer and the PWD (person with dementia).
I could not find a general document on the AS site so I have linked to a flyer for a recent local course. Maybe not rolled out nationwide but there is no harm in asking.
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/hrlive_downloads/SHARED_Unsworth_flyer_June_2016.pdf

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
Hello everyone,
My Dad has recently been diagnosed with dementia and my brother and i are still trying to find our feet with this illness, he does have a meeting with the nurse on Tuesday and i would love any advise as to what questions i need to be asking and if i need to be in touch with any one else except the memory clinic. Or basically any advice at all would be wonderfull.

Dear Mrs EM,

From me: welcome to TP (always wanted to say that!) and I am so pleased you have found this forum. It is a lifeline to me and many others.

You have already received lots of good advice on where to find information and help/ support. I would just add to this, keep looking at this forum and if you have ANY questions at any time, please don't hesitate to ask! There's no such thing as a silly question. TP people are all here for you and we won't judge you. We also love to hear how you are getting on, if you want to share, but no pressure.

Best wishes for your dad's forthcoming appointment. xx

MRS EM

Oct 6, 2016
Pontefract
Dear Mrs EM,

From me: welcome to TP (always wanted to say that!) and I am so pleased you have found this forum. It is a lifeline to me and many others.

You have already received lots of good advice on where to find information and help/ support. I would just add to this, keep looking at this forum and if you have ANY questions at any time, please don't hesitate to ask! There's no such thing as a silly question. TP people are all here for you and we won't judge you. We also love to hear how you are getting on, if you want to share, but no pressure.

Best wishes for your dad's forthcoming appointment. xx

Thank you for your support, I am still finding my way around the forum im not very tech friendly as yet! but its nice to know other people have gone through this before and are willing to help and share experiences. Unfortunately the Nurse did not show up, however she may have rung dad as he has a date and time written down on a piece of paper but cant remember what it was about it's a good job we can still laugh! bless him! . . . im sure a phone call will make things clearer.:)

Munchies

Oct 20, 2016
Hello everyone,

I too have just found this forum following a new diagnosis with my dad so hi there. I found it much easier to give everyone my phone number and ask them to ring me direct as dad has a habit of answering the phone and shouting p**s off as he thought most callers were trying to sell him something.

So far we have met social worker, GP and memory nurse and are looking at some daycare sessions at a local care home to see if dad likes it for later down the line.

I don't know what questions to ask either but am looking through fact sheets on here also exploring social things that dad might be interested in

Last edited: