new to this and very overwhelmed

kkgt83

Feb 22, 2015
United States
:confused:
My mom was recently diagnosed with beginning stages of Alzheimers back in November. The next month from the diagnoses she ended up in the hospital for heart failure and since then, she declined into full blown alzheimers. I have felt like I lost my mom on that day of Dec 16 when I took her the the ER and she was admitted to the hospital. She had been in the medical part of hospital for about 3 weeks then went to a rehab facility and has been since.
It is so sad because I have watched my very loving caring mom go into stages where she is angry. She is particularly angry with me especially. I am her only caregiver and have been her advocate since day one. I have visited her every day except once due to me being sick. My husband has helped me as much as he can but I am beginning to get very depressed and worry alot. She will be released from nursing facility in a few days because insurance is running out and I am so lost right now. It is so sad. There are days when my moms face is tear stained where I can tell she has been doing a lot of crying. She has cried when I am visiting because she knows something is happening to her. She was a very independent woman and cared for others so its hard. I work full time, have taken over her bills and finances and I am feeling like I am running out of energy to keep up. I also have health problems I have neglected. I could use any support I can get which is why I joined.

Dawnee1418

Feb 22, 2015
Know exactly how you feel

:confused:
My mom was recently diagnosed with beginning stages of Alzheimers back in November. The next month from the diagnoses she ended up in the hospital for heart failure and since then, she declined into full blown alzheimers. I have felt like I lost my mom on that day of Dec 16 when I took her the the ER and she was admitted to the hospital. She had been in the medical part of hospital for about 3 weeks then went to a rehab facility and has been since.
It is so sad because I have watched my very loving caring mom go into stages where she is angry. She is particularly angry with me especially. I am her only caregiver and have been her advocate since day one. I have visited her every day except once due to me being sick. My husband has helped me as much as he can but I am beginning to get very depressed and worry alot. She will be released from nursing facility in a few days because insurance is running out and I am so lost right now. It is so sad. There are days when my moms face is tear stained where I can tell she has been doing a lot of crying. She has cried when I am visiting because she knows something is happening to her. She was a very independent woman and cared for others so its hard. I work full time, have taken over her bills and finances and I am feeling like I am running out of energy to keep up. I also have health problems I have neglected. I could use any support I can get which is why I joined.

I've just joined the forum my father had a few mini strokes about 3 years ago & was saying stupid things but recovered back to his normal self. Last year he deteriorated & being a nurse I noticed before anyone else. I was asking for months for him to be assessed but his GP just kept saying keep an eye on him. Eventually she sent a geriarician who dd a medical assessment but no mental assessment & said he had a water infection. We continued with my father saying & doing silly things getting up in the middle of the night shaving saying he was going to work. Eventually the GP came & assessed him herself & immediately said he needed a full assessment. He was diagnosed in JANUARY 2015 with vascular dementia & Alzheimers. He keeps asking to go home & after one hospital visit got the ambulance to take him back to his childhood address. Feel like Ive lost my father the day he was diagnosed

kkgt83

Feb 22, 2015
United States
I've just joined the forum my father had a few mini strokes about 3 years ago & was saying stupid things but recovered back to his normal self. Last year he deteriorated & being a nurse I noticed before anyone else. I was asking for months for him to be assessed but his GP just kept saying keep an eye on him. Eventually she sent a geriarician who dd a medical assessment but no mental assessment & said he had a water infection. We continued with my father saying & doing silly things getting up in the middle of the night shaving saying he was going to work. Eventually the GP came & assessed him herself & immediately said he needed a full assessment. He was diagnosed in JANUARY 2015 with vascular dementia & Alzheimers. He keeps asking to go home & after one hospital visit got the ambulance to take him back to his childhood address. Feel like Ive lost my father the day he was diagnosed

I feel exactly the same..like I lost my mom...I feel I am already grieving:(

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Hi kkgt83
Your mom's heart problems and the changes of environment may have made her dementia symptoms much worse. If she lives alone do you think she will manage daily life once she gets back into her own environment?

I assume from your comment 're insurance that you live outside the UK. I do hope that the discharge will be because she is now much better and not just because she can't afford treatment she needs.

Can imagine how worried and depressed you are feeling right now. The main Alzheimer's Society website has lots of useful fact sheets which might help you. Please do try to look after yourself, you love your mom but must think of your own health too. Take care.