New to talking point

curtis217

Oct 23, 2013
Morning all, Im new to talking point so just thought I'd introduce myself, I'm a CPN in elderly team working with all dementia types, main reason for joining was to get a feel for the app and hopefully introduce those I work with to it as an extra support network

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Curtis
Welcome tp TP
The people here have been a lifeline to me.
there's also a lot of knowledge that people have gained over the yrs, which is freely shared when needed, ie, LPAs, COP.

Its not all doom and gloom here either, Have a look in the Tea room and groups.

For those who wish to post but do not wish their posts to show up on a search engine
The Tea room and think its called 'dealing with difficult feelings' are the places to post.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

curtis217

Oct 23, 2013
Much appreciated Lin1, thanks for info hopefully ill get the hang of app and be able to pass it on to others, it seems a great idea and a fantastic opportunity for people to get advice from those who are directly involved with Dementia

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Good morning Curtis,

Since Talking Point was the main source of information and support for me when I cared for my late husband who had a semantic dementia of the frontotemperal lobe, I have often said that this site would make excellent training material because it highlights just how different each person with the disease is and how diverse each carer is. I, personally, believe that caring is a highly skilled job and have never understood why it is not recognised as such.

If you are able to introduce carers and carees to Talking Point I would hope that they would be able to get the maximum benefit from it.

When I joined this forum I was a novice on a computer and was very afraid of joining any kind of internet forum as I had heard such bad press. However, I put my fears to one side and took the risk of registering on here. It was the best thing I did:) I even got computer lessons in order to make the most of the site and am now quite skilled. I have watched carers join the forum and then I have rejoiced as I have seen them develop and become vital, contributing members of the forum. I have watched as their caring skills are improved and when the disease becomes so demanding that shared care is required. I think it would be fair to say that most members do not receive anywhere near adequate support from local services especially now that the services are being reduced or abolished altogether:eek:

If you can use the forum to better carers skills then that can only be a good thing. It will certainly help them to know what carers experience up and down the country, and indeed abroad.

Love

curtis217

Oct 23, 2013
Thanks for the reply Helen you make some very valid points, as you mentioned dementia will affect everyone differently and it's normally a 24hr 365 illness which both family and patient battle.

I'm hoping to start mentioning this site as a resources and extra support network when carrying out my visits, assessments and reviews, I think it will provide family with reassurance that there not alone whilst giving an extra source of advice.

Kernel

Nov 1, 2013
Hi there?,my wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 2 plus years ago and the desease is being held by memantim medication to a sad memory loss and occasional outbursts.
The problem is my wife is in complete denial of any thing,and the word Alzheimer's is a No No.even at the Doctors.Any suggestions?
kernel

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Hi Kernel

Welcome to TP, you will find a lot of support and information on here. If you keep reading the threads on here you will find denial is a common facet of dementia. There are some contributors on here who have dementia and have a great deal of insight, but there are a lot of carers who struggle day to day with loved ones who are totally oblivious to their condition.

Please use this forum to share your problems, worries, thoughts and also to vent on the days you want to scream or run away!

Best wishes x