New to site need some help

souley

Apr 30, 2015
BURY LANCS
Hi mum has Alzheimers she is in mid stage with the illness am moving her into warden controlled flat soon need to know what she is entitled to to help with finances and also can anyone suggest a way of getting mum to use phone less as her phone bills are astronomical at moment ( she is phoning people several times a day and leaving phone off hook ) :confused:

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Hi Souley and welcome to TP. I am sure you will receive lots of advice here.

I don't know about sheltered housing etc, but with regards to the phone bill, could you get mum put on a tariff whereby she has unlimited calls?

souley

Apr 30, 2015
BURY LANCS
Phone bill

Thanks for idea had already thought about new contract but need one for landline as mum finds it hard to use new mobile phone ! Think joining the site is going to be a good thing :)

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Thanks for idea had already thought about new contract but need one for landline as mum finds it hard to use new mobile phone ! Think joining the site is going to be a good thing :)

Not sure if you will get any joy but try ringing the phone provider. I spoke to BT yesterday re my Mum and Dad's phone bill (turned out they were on the wrong tariff totally so I saved them a decent amount of money by changing it) and the customer service guy was very helpful and understanding about the needs of elderly people. Whether they can do some kind of cut-off after the phone has been 'inactive' for x amount of time I don't know but it's well worth asking.

And normally I wouldn't spit on BT if they were on fire but this chap was brilliant.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct

Hi!..you can get unlimited on home phones. Try that..would a visual phone help..where you only press a picture on the phone and dont use numbers?...might not stop leaving it off the hook but if there arent obvious numbers might help. I dont know if they have ability to tell someone else the phones off the hook..??.i suppose it depends on recognising people and perceptions..but just an idea. ..might be worth speaking to phone provider see if they have any ideas...
Best wishes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello Souley and welcome to Talking Point.

Most providers have an unlimited local anytime plan for land lines, I have one.

If your Mum is over 65 she could qualify for attendance allowance. There are two levels.

Lower ate approx £55 a week and higher rate approx £82.

To qualify for lower rate you have to show you need frequent help or constant supervision during the day or supervision at night.

For the higher rate you have to show that you need help and supervision throughout the day and night.

Once you have attendance allowance then other benefits can become accessible.

Carma

Feb 12, 2015
Stourbridge
help with finances

Hi mum has Alzheimers she is in mid stage with the illness am moving her into warden controlled flat soon need to know what she is entitled to to help with finances and also can anyone suggest a way of getting mum to use phone less as her phone bills are astronomical at moment ( she is phoning people several times a day and leaving phone off hook ) :confused:

Hi
You probably already know that pensioners over 65 might be entitled to Pensions Savings Credit and Pension Guarantee Credit. Getting Pension Guarantee Credit can open access to other benefits. There are straightforward, informative leaflets about this on Age UK. Also worth checking whether she is exempt from council tax, given the Alzheimer's diagnosis. Hope this helps.

AnneED

Feb 19, 2012
East Yorkshire UK
Another big one I didn't know about is total EXEMPTION from Council Tax for a person living alone if they have a severe mental impairment - a GP gives evidence about whether the person qualifies - mum got a couple of years rebate when I applied! (For two people in residence the tax is reduced to single rate)

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
Is she phoning landlines, as you can get 'anytime' free call packages, but I'm not sure if that also would cover calls to mobiles.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
I have a package from BT which includes unlimited calls to landlines. If you could remove any mobile numbers or numbers for people living abroad, this should help considerably.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland

I can't give anymore information than has already been given, I really would just like to say welcome to TP and I am sure when you get used to it you will be able to move round the boards and forums with ease.