1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

New to site need some help

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by souley, Apr 30, 2015.

1. souley

souley Registered User

Apr 30, 2015
    BURY LANCS
    Hi mum has Alzheimers she is in mid stage with the illness am moving her into warden controlled flat soon need to know what she is entitled to to help with finances and also can anyone suggest a way of getting mum to use phone less as her phone bills are astronomical at moment ( she is phoning people several times a day and leaving phone off hook ) :confused:

2. jan.s

jan.s Registered User

Sep 20, 2011
    Hi Souley and welcome to TP. I am sure you will receive lots of advice here.

I don't know about sheltered housing etc, but with regards to the phone bill, could you get mum put on a tariff whereby she has unlimited calls?

3. souley

souley Registered User

Apr 30, 2015
    BURY LANCS
    Phone bill

Thanks for idea had already thought about new contract but need one for landline as mum finds it hard to use new mobile phone ! Think joining the site is going to be a good thing :)

4. Suzanna1969

Suzanna1969 Registered User

Mar 28, 2015
    Essex
    Not sure if you will get any joy but try ringing the phone provider. I spoke to BT yesterday re my Mum and Dad's phone bill (turned out they were on the wrong tariff totally so I saved them a decent amount of money by changing it) and the customer service guy was very helpful and understanding about the needs of elderly people. Whether they can do some kind of cut-off after the phone has been 'inactive' for x amount of time I don't know but it's well worth asking.

And normally I wouldn't spit on BT if they were on fire but this chap was brilliant.

5. henfenywfach

henfenywfach Registered User

May 23, 2013
    rct
    Hi!..you can get unlimited on home phones. Try that..would a visual phone help..where you only press a picture on the phone and dont use numbers?...might not stop leaving it off the hook but if there arent obvious numbers might help. I dont know if they have ability to tell someone else the phones off the hook..??.i suppose it depends on recognising people and perceptions..but just an idea. ..might be worth speaking to phone provider see if they have any ideas...
    Best wishes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

6. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    Hello Souley and welcome to Talking Point.

Most providers have an unlimited local anytime plan for land lines, I have one.

If your Mum is over 65 she could qualify for attendance allowance. There are two levels.

Lower ate approx £55 a week and higher rate approx £82.

To qualify for lower rate you have to show you need frequent help or constant supervision during the day or supervision at night.

For the higher rate you have to show that you need help and supervision throughout the day and night.

Once you have attendance allowance then other benefits can become accessible.

7. Carma

Carma Registered User

Feb 12, 2015
    Stourbridge
    help with finances

Hi
    You probably already know that pensioners over 65 might be entitled to Pensions Savings Credit and Pension Guarantee Credit. Getting Pension Guarantee Credit can open access to other benefits. There are straightforward, informative leaflets about this on Age UK. Also worth checking whether she is exempt from council tax, given the Alzheimer's diagnosis. Hope this helps.

8. AnneED

AnneED Registered User

Feb 19, 2012
    East Yorkshire UK
    Another big one I didn't know about is total EXEMPTION from Council Tax for a person living alone if they have a severe mental impairment - a GP gives evidence about whether the person qualifies - mum got a couple of years rebate when I applied! (For two people in residence the tax is reduced to single rate)

9. Owly

Owly Registered User

Jun 6, 2011
    Is she phoning landlines, as you can get 'anytime' free call packages, but I'm not sure if that also would cover calls to mobiles.

10. RedLou

RedLou Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
    I have a package from BT which includes unlimited calls to landlines. If you could remove any mobile numbers or numbers for people living abroad, this should help considerably.

11. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    I can't give anymore information than has already been given, I really would just like to say welcome to TP and I am sure when you get used to it you will be able to move round the boards and forums with ease.

12. souley

souley Registered User

Apr 30, 2015
    BURY LANCS
    Re info

Thank you all for information this has been helpful some great advice here :)